E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gegun to see posts of OEM add-ons of the lumbar unit to some BMWs. Does anybody have the how to and parts needed for the '03 330i?

·
Registered
222 Posts
jimdan said:
I have gegun to see posts of OEM add-ons of the lumbar unit to some BMWs. Does anybody have the how to and parts needed for the '03 330i?
I'm working on it. I have most of the parts (I still need the wiring harnesses which are coming from Germany). I have the start of a DIY here but right now it just has a preliminary parts list, pictures of fitting the switches to the seat controls, and some wiring diagrams and TIS pictures. Keep checking back as I'll be updating it as I make progress.

·
Registered
222 Posts
xmltok said:
there is a lumbar retrofit package from bmw, 1-10-4-444-444
That part number is just a placeholder - there is no such kit (also note that Main Group 01 is various literature). I did finish my DIY which is available here.

·
does anyone read my p0sts?
587 Posts
wow wow wow GREAT DIY

If my math is correct it adds up to 312.98 a seat at dealer list cost. Again, excellent info.

·
Sofa-king-what
2,033 Posts
I'm in trouble...

i've just removed the lumbar support from my old 328's seats, and my intention were to place it into my seats...(vert with sport seats)

thanks to terry cushions swap results pretty easy (except the fact that vert's seats are structurally different from coupe' cabrio)....

anyway i've placed pump, valve and the other stuff into the available space

but after cutting the panel and placed the switch for the control I sadly realized that the main control module hasnt any hole to place the plug with 2 wires (brown/red) that caused some problems to terry...

the entire module is different the main plug is located inside (wires come from the centre of the seats), while 328 module has it on the back (as shown in terry's DIY)

i can't swap the module Bcause coupe' module hasnt headrest control, and ETK seems not to give the code for the correct module (only memory left/right LHD/RHD)

anyone can help me????

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I would say it's time to go ask the dealer for the correct part.

·
Registered
764 Posts
i think retrofitting the lumber support is a waste of time(IMO)

It doesnt help much!
Trust me. sometimes i feel like inflating it cos i have that option but i will immediately feel something knocking on my back and deflate it right away
i keep it at 10-20% inflated sometimes

you should try and experience it first before getting it
i do have a link for the DIY

·
Registered
222 Posts
TheRiddle said:
but after cutting the panel and placed the switch for the control I sadly realized that the main control module hasnt any hole to place the plug with 2 wires (brown/red) that caused some problems to terry...

the entire module is different the main plug is located inside (wires come from the centre of the seats), while 328 module has it on the back (as shown in terry's DIY)

i can't swap the module Bcause coupe' module hasnt headrest control, and ETK seems not to give the code for the correct module (only memory left/right LHD/RHD)
As long as you can get 12V DC power there (which, if you have power seats, you should be able to do easily) you can just tap that for power. In fact, before I came up with the pin trick in my DIY, I was planning on making Y-cables for the power into the seat controller.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Anyone know if its possible to Retrofit heated seats? My girlfriend loves them when she's in my car, but her car doesn't have it.

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,700 Posts
Ummm... I went ghetto... After suffering without lumbar for over a year now, I took the back cover off, stuffed a towel into the underframe of the sport seats. It made a huge difference, but I think I'm gonna use a bigger towel - I want a little more. No worry about air leaking, pumps, parts - and it was F R E E :)

Please be careful - I cut my thumb pretty good on the sharp edge of the underframe.

·
Sofa-king-what
2,033 Posts
Terry Kennedy said:
As long as you can get 12V DC power there (which, if you have power seats, you should be able to do easily) you can just tap that for power. In fact, before I came up with the pin trick in my DIY, I was planning on making Y-cables for the power into the seat controller.
hummm

i don't think it's a problem of power...

i don't have the place, in the main unit of the seat, to place the connector that you "mod"....

i've only the big connector.... maybe is integrated into that??

what is the function of those wires (red/brown) i think one is power and one is the signal input... true??

where i can hook them up?

can someone post me the wiring diagram for '00 323Cic (terry's one is too faded :rolleyes: and is for coupe'/sedan)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am in the same boat here. I read Terry's excellent DIY for Lumbar retrofit, but was surprised to see, after spending $500 in parts, that the inside of the seat frame and seat control module are completely different for a convertible. Dealers can't/won't help. I have a friend that has a 330 convertible with Lumbar and she has offered to let me do some mild disassembly to determine where the valve, pumps and connectors all go. This seems to be my option of last resort. Any others with any experience adding lumbar to convertible seats?

2003 M3 Convertible
Alpine White

·
Registered
222 Posts
drmcc said:
I am in the same boat here. I read Terry's excellent DIY for Lumbar retrofit, but was surprised to see, after spending $500 in parts, that the inside of the seat frame and seat control module are completely different for a convertible. Dealers can't/won't help. I have a friend that has a 330 convertible with Lumbar and she has offered to let me do some mild disassembly to determine where the valve, pumps and connectors all go. This seems to be my option of last resort. Any others with any experience adding lumbar to convertible seats?
I think you emailed me earlier today? I'll reply here for the benefit of others who might be interested.

First, I thought the M3 seats came with both lumbar and adjustable side wings? Perhaps that was just an option.

Convertibles are a bit different due to the fact that the seats have to fold to let people into the rear seats. Per the attached document, it looks like the valve (and thus the pump) are at the top of the seat.

Regarding the power connector, the two wires are power and ground. Ground in a BMW is always brown (without any stripe). If there isn't any connector on the seat memory module, then you probably pick up power at the main seat harness connector where the seat cables plug into the car, at the carpet to the right of the air tunnel under the seat.

Click here here for the document.

·
Sofa-king-what
2,033 Posts
ops dude i forgot to add info to this thread..

i've succesfully added lumbar support to my seats..

the connector that i was looking for,wasn't on the main unit..

i've connected it to a free connector that is under the seat...(there's only one unused,maybe two if you don't have heated seats)

it gave the power to the whole sys and now averithing works

just a question...

memory function includes lumbar support too or not??

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
alken said:
Ummm... I went ghetto... After suffering without lumbar for over a year now, I took the back cover off, stuffed a towel into the underframe of the sport seats. It made a huge difference, but I think I'm gonna use a bigger towel - I want a little more. No worry about air leaking, pumps, parts - and it was F R E E :)

Please be careful - I cut my thumb pretty good on the sharp edge of the underframe.
I wouldn't consider that ghetto at all - I did the same thing on a previous car but went with foam instead. Worked great!

Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks TheRiddle and Terry- Great responses and very helpful. Since I have heated seats, there still should be a power connector free somewhere in/under the seat, per TheRiddle. Terry, your document was a big help determining where the valve goes. Any idea where the pump goes and how it's mounted?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts