BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sedan does not have folding rear seats. i wanted to know if there was a way to retrofit the fold down rear seats into it?
im looking to make my trunk space larger when hauling things and not having to worry about damaging the leather. any info would help.
o yeah, i didnt have time to search so dont shoot me. just trying to get this in before class :banghead:

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Im not sure.
But doesnt the face-left e46 have folding rear seats. i thought i remember seeing it somewhere. not sure though.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definitely possible, but quite difficult and expensive I'd think. You'd need a whole new backseat, all the connector and brackets. Most importantly, you'd need to cut the metal plate behind the seatbacks completely off and modify the body a bit to incorporate the latches that hold the seats upright.
damn, sounds like a hassle if you ask me...

·
Banned
117 Posts
I thought the folding seat was an option that came with the cold weather package or something. That's why not everyone has 'em.

·
Banned
611 Posts
It's possible if you're willing to pay for it. To be honest, it's going to be a major pain and might not even be worth it to go through with the idea.

·
Registered
910 Posts
HI,

I have a same kind of question about folding seat.
My car doesn't have a fold rear seat but without retrofit it, can I just swap out mine to fold down seat?
Because since I don't have an arm rest, I just want to have it and find one rear fold down seat comes with an arm rest.

I just want to know if I can just swap rear top part of sedan seat.(non fold down to fold down)

thanks

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I have cold weather package with no ski-bag and no folding seats.

There is a diy. You just need the folding rear seat, a jig-saw, and rubber to put around cut edges.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
HI,

I have a same kind of question about folding seat.
My car doesn't have a fold rear seat but without retrofit it, can I just swap out mine to fold down seat?
Because since I don't have an arm rest, I just want to have it and find one rear fold down seat comes with an arm rest.

I just want to know if I can just swap rear top part of sedan seat.(non fold down to fold down)

thanks
If all you want is the armrest, you might be able to swap the rear seat back. Find a junkyard with some E46s and take a look.

Retrofitting the folding rear seats is generally considered to be more hassle than it's worth.

·
Registered
910 Posts
thank you for good info. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I owned a 2003 330xi for a short stint before I bought my current 330i (the xi used up too much gas and I don't need 4-wheel in GA) Anyway, it had folding rear seats in it and I do miss that about my current 330i. I want to retrofit the folding seats in also. Does anyone know where the how-to is for this?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
As far as I can see the latches, handles and locking mech is all bolt-on. So is the hinge setup for the folding top seat part(backrest). You will need to take out the carpet to make the holes for the hinges.

Now I'm not sure if you'll need new backrests, or if the hinge setup bolts onto the inner frame of the backrest. Can you tell me how many parts is the top seat divided into?

My fold down has 4 main parts: the two folding backrests(60/40 split, one with the skipass/ armrest) and a 'shoulder rest' cushion on either side. If your backseat backrest is one full piesce, you will definitely have to buy a new backrest. The bottom part(on which you sit) stay. (just make sure the leather colours match)

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
my sedan does not have folding rear seats. i wanted to know if there was a way to retrofit the fold down rear seats into it?
im looking to make my trunk space larger when hauling things and not having to worry about damaging the leather. any info would help.
o yeah, i didnt have time to search so dont shoot me. just trying to get this in before class :banghead:
It would be cheaper to sell your car and buy one that has this option already in it.

It is theoretically possible, but not very practical. You must cut a hole in the rear bulkhead, then add the necessary hinges and latches, and replace the back seat with one that folds. I think this option has to be built into the car, it is not a Dealer Add-on -- such as the factory alarm systgem is. The cars with the folding back seat are built that way at the factory.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts