BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 3 hours of disassembly and testing, I have determined that the Adaptive Braking function will NEVER work (without modification to the OEM parts) on an LED retrofit, even with new software!!!!!

As far as I can determine, the Adapter Cable Set does not have the ability or necessary hardware, to activate the "Bright" setting of the outer ring.

Upon close inspection of the Adapter Cable Set, I noticed that the CAR side connector of the adapter has 6 positions with 6 male contact pins, while the LED connector side of the adapter has 8 positions with only 6 female contact pins. That's right, two unused positions in the LED end of the adapter cableset .

Additionally, there are 8 contact pins on the LED's themselves.

I have determined what one of the additional contacts on the LED's is for...the "Bright" setting of the outer ring.

In the car end of the adapter there are 6 contacts:
1. One for the: + for the interior trunk light
2. One for the: - for the interior trunk light
3. One for the: + for the turn signal
4. One for the: + for the running light (towards the center of the car)
5. One for the: + Brake light (towards the corner of the car)
6. One for the: - All Ground

In the LED end of the adapter there are also 6 contacts:
1. One for the: + for the interior trunk light
2. One for the: - for the interior trunk light
3. One for the: + for the turn signal
4. One for the: + for the "all red led's dim"
5. One for the: + for the "all red center led's bright"
6. One for the: - All Ground

The adapter is missing the facility to supply a signal to the LED'S "Bright' outer ring contact.:banghead:

·
Banned
1,163 Posts
Yup...I could have told you all that. =P j/k That's the whole reason why I didn't bother to update my tails.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand and those who don't.

If you are lucky enough NOT to understand, good for you.

·
Big in Japan
1,377 Posts
Good job...although I have posted this REPEATEDLY for months, although noone EVER listens to what I have to say.

·
ILCUTAWOOTIE
3,698 Posts
huh

can someone explain what adaptive braking function is? and what the draw backs are of not having this?
-ALex

·
Crazy Boy
1,400 Posts
RichP said:
Good job...although I have posted this REPEATEDLY for months, although noone EVER listens to what I have to say.
So how did u figure out how to get the adaptive braking to work?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After those 3 hours and various small electronics parts I now have the "Adaptive" feature working.

I am seriously considering putting together an "Adaptive Braking" activation kit. Sell it for around $40.

Think there would be any interest?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes, I would be very interested in it... I was just about to order the parts to upgrade the parts.... would it be a plug and play kind of thing or something that I would have to cut into the factory wiring for?

·
Der Meisterstück
2,499 Posts
PB_M3 said:
After those 3 hours and various small electronics parts I now have the "Adaptive" feature working.

I am seriously considering putting together an "Adaptive Braking" activation kit. Sell it for around $40.

I SMELL A DIY HERE
Please share your info. of course your kit would also be welcomed.

·
Banned
1,163 Posts
PB_M3 said:

That sounds awesome, if that's the case then I might be interested. So w/the new software and your "kit" it should work w/o any complications?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Absolutly no cutting into anything. Very easy with the kit. YES PNP!

Side note. If you have a file or a dremel, you do not need to order the new "cover" part for the LED's

·
Banned
1,163 Posts
PB_M3 said:
Absolutly no cutting into anything. Very easy with the kit. YES PNP!

Side note. If you have a file or a dremel, you do not need to order the new "cover" part for the LED's

PB_M3,
You should come up to the Bay Area meet on the 15th and show us your retrofit. I'll be very interested.

·
'a certain moderator'
38,245 Posts
congrats on getting that stuff to work!

i want it so that when i REALLY have to brake hard, that red strobes go off in the tail lights :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two things:
1. Gotta go home now...So, if I don't respond for a while, don't worry.

2. Strobes are a POSSIBILITY...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts