BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace my M3 2003 rear lights with the late 2003 or 2004s LEDs. I got the parts from pacific BMW and wil be here in 2 days.

After reading many of the postings, I hope to be able to put this on myself. I am also aware that 1) there will be a front panel warning light that will come up and 2) the Adaptive Brake Light Activation System will not be functional.

I have a few questions:

for 1) If I take it to the dealer, what will the dealer have to do to get rid of the warning light? How much will the dealer charge for this? Should I tell my dealer that I did a retrofit with the rear lights and this occured? How will it affect my warranty?
What does the dealer need to do exactly to fix this problem?

2) For the Adaptive Brake Light Activation System, I read a bit about a new software version needs to be loaded on the computer. Will there be a fix for this later?

3) Will there be any problems with the electrical system, computer system, fuses, etc etc etc with this retrofit?

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
1. The dealer will need to program your LCM. It should cost you 1/2 hr of labor. I don't think it will affect the warranty since you use genuine bmw parts.

2. No idea...

3. None at all.... the installation is very easy. Unplug the old wires and install the ones.

·
Der Meisterstück
2,479 Posts
Also as for the Adaptive Break light feature, no software will solve your problem. Because even with the Wire adaptor, cars with out the adaptive break light feature are missing two wires which help illuminate the outer led rings brighter under heavy breaking.

PB_M3 solved the adaptive break light feature with something he wired up, and claims to be a simple install. Ask him to sell you his Adaptive Break light kit if you want your outer LEDs to light up under heavy breaking.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you saying that the outer leds will not light up when the brakes are applied without the Adaptive Break light kit??

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have bought the adaptive kit from PB_M3. Hopefully, I will get it this week. I will let you guys know...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
that is correct, without the addapter the outer lights will not function... this is, after all, the "adaptive" part of the system!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts