E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i'm not sure what the deal is, i've had rims on all my prior E36's.

I installed 19inch ACS Type III, with Dunloop SP9000 tires, dimensions:
235-35-19 (front) and 265-30-19 rear.

The car has been lowered using Eibach springs.

Problem: At somewhat high speed (>70mph), the car feels much looser then stock. The steering is abgout 50% less responsive then stock. This is bothering me very very very very very very very very very very very much.

I have not yet got a 4wheel alignment, i'm waiting for somoeone on the board to give me a good recomendation for the LA area.

WTF is wrong with my setup? Will alignment fix it? Anyone else encounter this? ****ty tires?

Thanks for any help.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,359 Posts
Ages ago, when I inquired about improving the stability of my car at high speeds, the answer I got was that coilovers were the only way to go. My ASSumption is that just using springs makes this worse due to the mismatch in travel rates and travel length in the springs and shocks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It feels like the rear wheels are lagging when i change the direction of steering wheel. I feel the front wheels begin to steer the car, the rear wheels catch up about .5 seconds later.

The front wheels and the rear wheels do not seem in synch.

Now that you mention tire pressure, you may very well be right. I remember having a reduced version of this feeling when my tire pressure was too low. I never checked it after installing the rims\tires.

Any other ideas?

·
Banned
1,413 Posts
could be alot of things. if i had to make a guess id say the sidewalls might not be as stiff as ure stock setup (yes i know ure riding on thin 19s now, but ive had 16" tires with stiffer sidewalls then 17s :), or maybee the springs.

again hard to say, but just guesses.. the dunlops i know are a nice tire with nice grip but the sidewalls arent the stiffest ones out there. i didnt have the same steering response with them as some other more aggressive tires..

and make sure u pump those bad boys up with air :)

just my opinion

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to the recommendations on the boards i went to EF3 Motorsports for my balance\alignment.

The car feels perfect now =) No shaking, no hacking, the handling is godly, much better then stock.

Thanks for the recommendation, EF3 Motorsports is really awesome. Fabrizio is the best ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.