E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, today i was checking my engine oil level. Wanted to top it up a little but i grabbed atf bottle and poured it in my engine. (same color bottle as engine oil and it was dark :( ) It was only about 300ml/0,3quarts of oil. I dont know what to do now ? It really upsets me but I read on internet it will do nothing because of the little amount compared to the whole oil capacity (7l) Its a 2001 e46 330i with 125k mile (200k km). What do u think guys ? should i not worry about it or oil change :(??

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
If not sure - do an oil change - cost you a LOT less than something happening to the engine. Or if you can drain some out (with suction at the dipstick) and retop off. That should dilute it enough I would think. If it is close to an oil change - just do it early imho.

·
Registered
2004 325ci
468 Posts
It'll be fine. The ATF will act as a detergent to help clean out the engine, its an old school trick that's been around for a while now. I do this to my car all the time and haven't had any issues, just be sure to change the oil in the next couple of days.

Edit: You should also only need 6.5L of oil.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It'll be fine. The ATF will act as a detergent to help clean out the engine, its an old school trick that's been around for a while now. I do this to my car all the time and haven't had any issues, just be sure to change the oil in the next couple of days.

Edit: You should also only need 6.5L of oil.
Yup this is an old school trick/hack to pour a qt/Liter in and change the oil a few hundred miles later. I personally haven't done it but I know its prevalence. Read the bottle carefully to make sure it doesn't have any friction additives or modifiers. Sometimes these 'high milage' oils use them and you definitely don't want that in the engine oil.

·
Registered
2000 328ci (LS/CD009 Swapped)
12 Posts
I definitely wouldn't leave it in there for 100 miles unless you are going 100 miles in the next day or so. It is a detergent and will help to clean out old engine oil and gunk, but it has different properties than oil. In some cars it may cause damage to the seals or simply not have small enough globules to lubricate your bearings properly. Not to mention that the ATF will be cleaning the engine. Meaning it will loosening up all sorts of gunk and debris that could clog your oil jackets or oil filter and cause starvation. There's no guarantee it will do any damage, but changing oil sooner rather than later would be my advice.

·
Registered
2003 330i ZHP 6spd, 2004 330i ZHP Auto, 2001 330i Auto
7 Posts
I've done this with a quart. I drove 200 miles before changing the oil. When I changed the oil it looked normal. I've done 3 or 4 oil changes since at 5k intervals. Everything is fine. Engine is still going strong at 190k miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've done this with a quart. I drove 200 miles before changing the oil. When I changed the oil it looked normal. I've done 3 or 4 oil changes since at 5k intervals. Everything is fine. Engine is still going strong at 190k miles.

TBH I didnt see how small the amount was that was added. His engine probably won't even notice. But I know some kid is going to read this post with 5 full quarts of ATF in his engine and think he is okay to drive another 500 miles 🤣.

·
Registered
2003 330i ZHP 6spd, 2004 330i ZHP Auto, 2001 330i Auto
7 Posts
TBH I didnt see how small the amount was that was added. His engine probably won't even notice. But I know some kid is going to read this post with 5 full quarts of ATF in his engine and think he is okay to drive another 500 miles 🤣.
lol oh no. That was not my intention! Definitely put motor oil for anyone in the future who reads this! I was only try to assure OP that his car will be okay and as long as he continues to do maintenance his car has a long life ahead of itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
lol oh no. That was not my intention! Definitely put motor oil for anyone in the future who reads this! I was only try to assure OP that his car will be okay and as long as he continues to do maintenance his car has a long life ahead of itself.
Agreed lol. But people love to skim things and assume. Just like I skimmed the OP and assumed he put too much in 🤣

·
Registered
197 Posts
It won't cause more damage than let's say some 20k old or more "high mileage" oil that will create a whole lot of gunk.

If you want to take most of it out without an oil change I believe transmission oil is thicker than regular oil and will be left on the bottom of the pan. From there just take out the drain plug and let a liter or so run out. Then top off with clean oil. Good to go.

In my car I'd probably do an oil change tho.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts