E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Law Enforcer
…’22 992 Carrera C2S arriving soon!!!
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a quick question. Does the dealer always check if a car has been in an accident? The reason I ask is because my g/f got into a slight fender bender awhile back in her SE-R, and now she's looking to get into another car. Her car isn't salvage or anything, but I don't know if we should bring up that fender bender or not? Of course if we're asked, we'll tell the truth, but since it was only front bumper damage (which has since been replaced!), should we even bring it up if it is not asked about? I've never been asked if any of my previous cars were in accidents before trading them in (though they were never in any), so I was just curious if Carfax reports are ran, and how info is reported to Carfax (via insurance company, dmv, etc.) Thanks in advance!

·
Law Enforcer
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
leng said:
Was the car repaired @ a dealership? and did you go through insrance? If you answer yes then I'd say it * might* show up. Just spring the ~20bucks and run a carfax yourself...
She went through insurance, but it wasn't repaired at a dealership. It was repaired through a friend of her family that owns his own bodyshop.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'd say definitely don't bring it up unless they ask, but it doesn't sound like a serious enough accident to make a difference as far as a trade in is concerned anyway.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
they will be able to tell if your car has been to the autobody very easiely I used to work as a rep for Honda and its very noticable to someone with that eye...

·
Law Enforcer
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BGReddy00 said:
they will be able to tell if your car has been to the autobody very easiely I used to work as a rep for Honda and its very noticable to someone with that eye...
I noticed when I traded in my 330ci, the guy felt around the edges of the hood, the doors and the trunk. I guess when you get it repainted, paint builds up in those areas and it's easy to tell that it's been to the bodyshop. Am I correct? What do they look for?

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
yes your correct, the way to tell is if you look from the side of the car usually the paint doenst look perfectly the same as the rest, sometimes this is minor bubbles less then a size of a pin, once you feel the edges they will feel diffrent then the other side usually rougher...

·
Doesn't like PMs...Email me
2,278 Posts
My brother has been in 6 accidents w/ his 2000 Audi A4. As long as there has been no damage to the frame and you didn't have a lawsuit, you will not see anything on CarFax. I ran a CarFax on his car last week (he's trying to sell it BTW) and nothing came up. CarFax really doesn't do much unless the vehicle was involved in an accident that required a police report or if the title has changed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It only shows on carfax if there was a police report, I believe.

If it was only the bumper, it's not going to be a big deal. If they ask you if it was in any accidents, you can tell them the truth, or you could just tell them you had the bumper repainted because it was scuffed.

Either way, a repainted bumper shouldn't affect the value too much, especially on a Sentra(if it was your M3, it would lose more value comparitively).

It shouldn't be an issue, and if the dealer tries lowballing you because of the bumper, then that's all they're doing: Lowballing you. If half the car, or the whole car was repainted, that's one thing. You should still get fair value. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts