E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a new noise seemingly coming from engine bay:

Only hear it when I accelerate / decelerate through the "2 - 3" range (on a scale from 1 to 10 of throttle / gas pedal range) i.e. only the 1st bit on depressing the gas pedal, and then also on the last bit of letting foot off gas pedal. :hmm::hmm:

It sounds very similar to the sound I hear when switching A/C on.......kind of a hiss.

It occurs with the cruise control as well

I could not hear it with the car parked, from within the car or when listening under hood with someone revving engine:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

Any suggestions very appreciated
Jan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply! My bearings are fairly new. If it is calipers, does that mean I need new brake pads and rotors, or is there something else with calipers?

I will check intake boot as well

THANKS AGAIN
Jan

·
Registered
399 Posts
Intake boot. Mine does the same and mine leaks somewhere in there.
So the intake boot only makes noise while moving, not when standing still and you listen with the hood up while someone else hits the accelerator? Doesn't sound right to me, but, I haven't had this problem yet.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply! My bearings are fairly new. If it is calipers, does that mean I need new brake pads and rotors, or is there something else with calipers?
Check to make sure the dust shield isn't contacting any part of the rotors and that the pads aren't dragging too much. Can't say if you'll need new rotors or not until you determine if it's a rotor that's dragging. You'll have to measure the runout and see how much of a wobble it's got (if that is indeed the case). If your caliper is bad is might need to be rebuilt (or replaced in worse case).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lower intake boot it was!! 2cm tear where the hose to ICV inserts into boot. ( I still do not understand why I could not hear it when listening under hood.)

THANKS EVERYONE!

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
So the intake boot only makes noise while moving, not when standing still and you listen with the hood up while someone else hits the accelerator? Doesn't sound right to me, but, I haven't had this problem yet.
That's dead-on, yes. I can really hear it in the parking garage.

Lower intake boot it was!! 2cm tear where the hose to ICV inserts into boot. ( I still do not understand why I could not hear it when listening under hood.)

THANKS EVERYONE!
And that answers our question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.