E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im so pissed right now my cf lip is fuked up the clearcoat came off........it looks horrible its basically white.. i got it from cec and they told me they were gonna warranty it like 5 months ago but that all the ac-s lips were on backorder so i had to wait ..........so then yesterday they tell me at ac-s wont warranty it........i was so pissed off i couldnt believe i spent like 2k on this lip and they basically told me 2 go fuk myself..........they said we will give u a new cf lip 4 half off 700.00 bucks.........has anyone had problems similar to mine??:ben:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
There have been stories bout the clearcoat on these lips. How over time, the clearcoat becomes faint and starts whitening. I guess it all depends on the company. I heard like MaShaw has good ACS replicas w/no problems w/their clearcoats, in addition to a few other replica companies that make them (i.e. Fucy's lip he's been selling)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
That sucks man... Sorry to hear it. What happened? Did a rock hit it or something. If it were me I would get that clear protecter for it from 3M. I Have it on the front of my car and I never get chips

AdamR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no no rocks hit it nuthing like that, the clearcoat came off the whole thing when it rsins it turns white and dull...........and it is an ac-s lip no replicas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,481 Posts
have had mine for over 2 years and still looks like the day i bought it....there is known to be a few fronts that were produced in a given time with defects...yours is one of them...manufacturer defects happen and ACS should warranty this...pursue what you feel is right
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
682 Posts
Take a hi-res picture of it and post it up. Depending on the damage, we may have a shop that can sand it down and re-clearcoat it if you are willing to pay. I believe it would cost around $50-$100 (off the top of my head) if it is able to be repaired.

-Dan

mchM3 said:
im so pissed right now my cf lip is fuked up the clearcoat came off........it looks horrible its basically white.. i got it from cec and they told me they were gonna warranty it like 5 months ago but that all the ac-s lips were on backorder so i had to wait ..........so then yesterday they tell me at ac-s wont warranty it........i was so pissed off i couldnt believe i spent like 2k on this lip and they basically told me 2 go fuk myself..........they said we will give u a new cf lip 4 half off 700.00 bucks.........has anyone had problems similar to mine??:ben:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
John from jersey said:
have had mine for over 2 years and still looks like the day i bought it....there is known to be a few fronts that were produced in a given time with defects...yours is one of them...manufacturer defects happen and ACS should warranty this...pursue what you feel is right
Yea john but do you drive your car alot? I know that you trailer it to shows??

But yea, I know Walter's (laguna01) ACS lip did the same thing:thumbdwn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they said it looks like i sprayed degreaser on it .............im like i dont even put degreaser on my wheels............and ive been into modding my rides way 2 long not 2 know that degreaser fuks up cllearcoat all i use is soap and water
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
682 Posts
mchM3 said:
they said it looks like i sprayed degreaser on it .............im like i dont even put degreaser on my wheels............and ive been into modding my rides way 2 long not 2 know that degreaser fuks up cllearcoat all i use is soap and water
I think the problem is that the part was likely a wet-layup piece instead of an autoclaved piece. Wet-layup is where they lay dry fabric onto a mold and "paint" the curing resin onto the piece, then they cure it in an oven. They then take the cured piece and rough up the surface, and spray it with an acrylic clearcoat to give it that deep glossy look.

The problem is that the acrylic clearcoat and the wet-layup resin have different expansion characteristics under heat, causing the acrylic clearcoat to delaminate over time. This can manifest itself in the form of a cloudy finish, cracking, and degredation of the piece around the edges (it looks like it's peeling up).

Again, this is what I believe happened based on the most common reason that aftermarket CF pieces "go bad".

-Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,481 Posts
///M3Matt said:


Yea john but do you drive your car alot? I know that you trailer it to shows??

But yea, I know Walter's (laguna01) ACS lip did the same thing:thumbdwn:
ya car gets driven just about every week and CF adhesion has nothing to do with driving the car or not...its a chemical induced reaction
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Sorry dude. I would be pissed and I would insist on a replacement.

Here is my strategy. I bought a Fucy like replica for $450 with flippers on EBAY thinking that when I beat the hell out of it going off the track or up a driveway that I could just buy another... and another... For $450 who cares if the clearcoat comes off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,753 Posts
go directly to ACS. They will obviously care more about their reputation that stupid CEC who caters to rich idiots. (no offense)
 

·
name's PHIL
Joined
·
6,061 Posts
i still cant figure out how all u PLAYAS feel about adding such an expensive piece all the way down at the bottom of the front bumper where it could get scratched/fuked up...dam u guys have MOOLAH to do that and not worry at all...........but thats definitely a LEMON lip they sold you:D , hope u get re-imbursed for it:thumbup:
 

·
name's PHIL
Joined
·
6,061 Posts
Ward said:
go directly to ACS. They will obviously care more about their reputation that stupid CEC who caters to rich idiots. (no offense)

so true, their customer base is Hollywood, Nba, Nfl, blah blah blah:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
mchM3 said:
..........so then yesterday they tell me at ac-s wont warranty it........i was so pissed off i couldnt believe i spent like 2k on this lip and they basically told me 2 go fuk myself..........they said we will give u a new cf lip 4 half off 700.00 bucks.........
This looks like a fraud here. CEC would never sell an item for half the price. I think they are trying to rip you off. From the sound of it, it sounds like there is a warranty for the part but they are not telling you that.:confused: :thumbdwn:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top