BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've searched and am aware of the idle bumps (i get it). Mine does too but not bad. What is bad is when I turn on the AC (does not happen when fan only) it starts off ok but then starts to shudder and shake the entire car to the point its annoying the hell out of me. WTF! Will replacing the AC compressor fix or should I be looking out for something else?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm in the same boat....everyone here is telling me to diagnose it as a rough idle, rather than the AC being the root of the problem. I'm having my mechanic check the DISA, MAF, and anything else he can think of. I know for me it seems as if the car is idling too low, and the AC sets it over the edge. I'm not throwing any engine codes at all.

·
Registered
389 Posts
well i never had any such problem. but if ever i encounter something like that, i'd go for the alternator. maybe its not producing sufficient energy for both the spark plugs and the battery that feeds the AC. therefore, putting on the AC means grabbing more power from the alternator which in turns mean less power to the spark plugs therefore causing the car to shake. only my 2 cents though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts