BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was debating whether or not to buy the AC Schnitzer Handbrake (and install it myself based on the guide on this site).

I was just wondering what the difficulty level was and if by changing it, would I be voiding any factory warranties by doing this?

Oh, and how easy is it to actually get the OEM handle by sliding it off? (i don't want to cut it off). And will I be able to put the stock handle back on later (say if I wanted to sell the car) without any damage or noticibility?

Thanks for any replies.

·
Secret Asian Man
885 Posts
there's not really a warranty that covers the ebrake handle, and from what i understand, i don't think it's that hard to chage it at all...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wouldn't really worry about warramty issues with swapping ebrake handles. Removing itn't that hard. It would help to heat the old handle with a hairdryer to help make remvong it easier. Just twist and slide off the old handle after heating it up. It make take a few tries but it will come off. After that most ebrake handles just slide on and are held in place by set screws.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i had a ***** of a time switching mine, but I didnt try the hairdryer approach....hopefully that helps the sliding process. All i know is that i destroyed the old handle and crippled my hand for a few days...

but it is worth it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I did it without heating or hair dryer.

After I ordered mine, I twisted the original handle every now and then when I was waiting at red lights. Once it can be twisted easily, Then I just pulled it right off the brake.
Be careful not to hit your face. Buy wire ties from Home Depot,the long once to tie the leather boot back as the DIY indicated.
This is as easy as you can get in mods.

Go for it!:thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts