BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't smoke and would rather have an outlet, here are some pictures. DIY and or part list to come. Inverter is Tripp Lite PV375

·
Registered
624 Posts
What is the switch wired between? The power to the inverter or the power to the plugs?

Is that just an LED to tell you when the plugs are powered?

I'm guessing 375 watts?

Is there a fuse somewhere?

And yes, I like the idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cooling
This inverter has built in 40MM fan that sounds like it's getting 45+CFM (a bit loud), per the manual shows device can get up to 130-140F under continuous load, I have only got it 99F pulling ~100W for 1hour, but I do live in Florida and coming this summer will see if more ventilation is needed.

LED/Switch setup
some back story: I ran the wires before I got the tripp lite inverter, I was using some soda can style 150W that had usb charging and I had some 5-12V illuminated switch so I ran 4 wires to make sure I had enough 2 for the switch and only needed one for ground for the for the illuminated (led) STSP switch, when I got the tripp lite inverter, it has an AC bulb and a custom STDP, as the AC bulb is on pins 3 and 4. So i just soldered some spade connectors to a replacement DTDP switch leaving the neutral AC line not connected to the switch (the tripp lite switch was brighter). It is quite redundant at this point, could have just pigtailed of the outlet directly and only run two wires but they are all ready run and if i need to use them for something else i can always change that. only other reason to do it this way is I unplug the power cord going to the outlet the cabin switch will still light up, I might also make a device that will make the left lights on chime work if inverter is left on. the inverter dose have low voltage protection < 10.5V probably not much help for us, right now the fan noise is just load enough to hear with the car off, that I remember. Going to remount it with some rubber between the brackets will listen for improvement, seems to be vibrating the stock subwoofer box.

lower power

I agree I may never use the 375W for this invert I'd be hard pressed to use 200W but the overhead is nice and the main reason was i wanted two outlets one for the cabin and an extra in the truck with out use another splitter, trip lite has 150W (red) that's ~26$ only has one outlet. I got the pv375 for 40$ free shipping via newegg.com at the time tripp lite also makes a PVINT375 230V AC output and 1 universal global outlet that accepts French, German and UK style connectors.

Fuse/led
the PV375 has a 40A ATC on the back.

and the car had the smokers package so I left the ashtray light.

more info on this inverter.
www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=815&txtModelID=2552

1 - 9 of 9 Posts