BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!

I’m currently on the hunt to fix my a/c. I’ve found that my compressor clutch isn’t working, so I’ve just checked the Ebox for fuses- fine.. now I thought I’d check the compressor relay behind the glove box. In the pictures below it shows what I’m currently looking at vs a YouTube screenshot of where the relay is.
To all the gurus out there, it’s getting hot in Australia and I need this fixed ahaha...any suggestions?

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 740K km
549 Posts
Not sure what is exact question?
If you aew looking for relay location, go to realoem.com and find electric components for your VIN, and it shows the location and details.
You probably should start with connecting INPA and check for ac module. It could be nothing wrong with clutch, but it engages/disengages under certain conditions, and if, for instance, something wrong with pressure reading, or aux fan failing, it would affect compressor work.

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Many things can prevent the compressor clutch from being activated. The first step is to scan the IHKA (automatic climate control module) for codes. Use inpa fir that. PM Balidawg as he can help you set it up.

Now, a quick check of the compressor clutch is to remove the single wire at the front of the compressor at the clutch. Apply 12VDC to the clutch connector that’s now exposed. If it engages when the engine is running the clutch is fine.

The next thing to check is the ambient air (outside air) sensor. Does your car have the button in the left stalk (turn signal stalk)? If it does press it until the outside air temperature reading shows up. Is the reading correct or does it say -40*C? The AC won’t be activated as the IHKA thinks it’s cold outside. The sensor is located in the cavity between the left front wheel liner and the front bumper. BMW makes a repair kit for it.

Here’s a link to the AC relay:

Get to know realoem by entering the last 7 characters of your car’s VIN. Then hit enter and bookmark the page. The relays are in the vehicle electrical system.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Those relays do go bad. Mine went bad, although when I read the live data, it said that the A/C compressor clutch was well engaged. This is because the relay has 2 outputs. One that goes to the module to tell the electronics that the clutch is activated, and one to the actual clutch itself. The latter was the connection that was broken.

What markusmarkus said is also helpful. Try to connect the compressor directly to a 12V source and see what it does. The 12V input on the compressor is hard to get to, as the actual pin is deep inside the plastic connector housing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts