E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, over the weekend I encountered a strange issue with my 330i’s abs system. I noticed that the trio of lights were lit up on my dash so I scanned the car and saw that there were 5 codes for the abs system. The codes said all 4 wheel speed sensors are bad and there was a 5th code for the right rear as well. It seems a little odd to me that all 4 sensors would be bad at the same time so i’m wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this and how I should go about troubleshooting it. Thanks a lot!

I will also attach the pictures of the codes and what the scanner said

Sky Gadget Handwriting Font Display device

Sky Cloud Handwriting Window Plant

Sky Cloud Font Handwriting Tints and shades

Computer Rectangle Sky Font Gadget

Sky Cloud Gadget Communication Device Tints and shades

· Registered
2001 325ci
1,483 Posts
Hey everyone, over the weekend I encountered a strange issue with my 330i’s abs system. I noticed that the trio of lights were lit up on my dash so I scanned the car and saw that there were 5 codes for the abs system. The codes said all 4 wheel speed sensors are bad and there was a 5th code for the right rear as well. It seems a little odd to me that all 4 sensors would be bad at the same time so i’m wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this and how I should go about troubleshooting it. Thanks a lot!

I will also attach the pictures of the codes and what the scanner said
yes, odd that all 4 sensors would be bad at the same time.
ABS/DSC/Brake lights? those are the clues.
read up on "trifecta"

· Premium Member
4,875 Posts
If all four aren't reading all of a sudden, it's almost guaranteed that something else in the system's
not working, NOT the sensors.

My first guess would be that the ABS computer's lost power or ground to the sensors.
the diagrams are at www.bmwteka.com, but I can tell you that the sensors dead- end in
the ABS connector.
So look at that- if you're lucky there's a connector problem.
Or maybe one has shorted, and that's pulling all 4 to ground.

But spidey sense says that the ABS computer's lost some internal circuitry, most
likely in its power supply section.

t
not named Peter, and not a very good Parker.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fault codes do not tell you a part is bad. They are simply clues, then YOU have to diagnose.

Is this 330i a 2001?
It’s a 2003 330i, I cleared the codes to see if they would come back on and when I went for a drive, the traction control light kept flashing and the rear end was making a strange sound that it wasn’t before. Im hoping it’s a bad ground somewhere.

· Registered
'02 325ti Compact
58 Posts
I will also add that I lost function of my speedometer, MPG gauge, and the car doesn’t count miles.
That's the rear left sensor acting up, the gauge cluster picks up speed data from that corner, though the actual fault might be something else that just makes the sensor go haywire considering the other codes you're getting. Is your scanner smart enough to pull up live speed sensor data?

· Registered
192 Posts
That's the rear left sensor acting up, the gauge cluster picks up speed data from that corner, though the actual fault might be something else that just makes the sensor go haywire considering the other codes you're getting. Is your scanner smart enough to pull up live speed sensor data?
I agree. Losing speedo and odometer is left rear on my 99 328i and I suspect yours. You can test the sensor with a VOM meter and then could rotate wheel with VOM on ac volts to see if it generates ac voltage when rotating. 0 volts and no resistance == dead. Only difficulty is connecting to pins which are 1 1/2 inch inside housing. No suggestion here, just curse as appropriate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts