E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I edited my earlier post suggesting to replace your MK60 with a newer (2004+) one. I forgot the pre-09/2001 units use different wheel speed sensors (and yaw rate sensor I think). Blarf is correct. Yours is in that period which uses the early wheel speed sensors which are not compatible with the later ones. Sorry for the misguidance there.

Most likely the problem (and those codes) will return, probably when temperature or shock sets it off. The MK60 uses a proprietary ASIC (no public documentation) that makes those units not so rebuildable/testable, hence why it is hard to find a shop that does them. Replacement with a good used one is the normal course.

You can lookup the wiring diagrams for its connector on bmwteka.com, which will let you electrically troubleshoot the symptoms. Basically you want to measure the signals related to the trouble codes at the DSC connector (while unplugged) to see if they are correct or not. If they are, the DSC is shot. It’s a bit of sleuthing on these and needs some electrical skills.

MK60 wiring diagrams
The wheel sensors are the same it's just that the yaw and lateral acceleration sensors were replaced with a "DSC sensor" in the E46 application as of September 2001 (so anything sold as a 2002 model year in the US). For basic troubleshooting you don't even need wiring diagrams. There are two large gauge constant power wires at one end of the connector (red/yellow, red/blue) and two large gauge ground wires (brown) at the other end that make a short run to a ground stud. There's a switched power (terminal 15) wire on pin 4. Low voltage pretty much means there's an issue with one of those wires or their respective fuses.

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
15,542 Posts
The wheel sensors are the same it's just that the yaw and lateral acceleration sensors were replaced with a "DSC sensor" in the E46 application as of September 2001 (so anything sold as a 2002 model year in the US). For basic troubleshooting you don't even need wiring diagrams. There are two large gauge constant power wires at one end of the connector (red/yellow, red/blue) and two large gauge ground wires (brown) at the other end that make a short run to a ground stud. There's a switched power (terminal 15) wire on pin 4. Low voltage pretty much means there's an issue with one of those wires or their respective fuses.
Thanks for clarifying/correcting and supplying the details, glad someone remembers this stuff.
Oh, and welcome back! Seems like you were gone for awhile?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,547 Posts
Then take a look at the ETM and see which pins on the ABS connector should have 12v on them.

If they do, then pull the ABS electronics unit, and make sure the pins haven't broken their solder traces.

If they have not, the ABS brain is no longer compos mentos and sadly, must be replaced by a MK60 unit that
matches the sensors, as blarf says. What month matters quite a bit, since the MK60 with analog sensors
was only used on the 330 in about a 9 month period.

he says, having one of those...

t
...and coke
ETM..... you're an old timer like me.
It's WDS now....
Suggestion is a good one. Also the grounds are as important as the power feeds

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Yeah I'm working through a couple of projects on the 325 so I'm back. I got tired of the admins letting the russian trollskis run wild in the politics forum so I've mostly moved on. The new site software though. Ugh.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts