E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2001 BMW 330i Sedan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to start off by saying that I have no warning lights going off in my car. I'm doing some code clearing and I want to get to the root of these errors that are coming up, specifically the ones for ABS because those are the ones that are showing up as currently present.

My car: 2001 BMW 330i Sedan

Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot Parallel

Reading from BMW Scanner:

ABS* -> 5E15/C0 - CAN Timeout EGS
5DF4/40 - Vehicle power < 9 Volt.
5DA3/C0 - Wheel speed sensor front right start recognition v_comparison.
5D93/C0 - Wheel speed sensor front left start recognition v_comparison.
5E43/C0 - Steering angle sensor internal.

Errors after clear:

5E15/C0 - CAN Timeout EGS

·
Administrator
17,204 Posts
I dug into one of your other threads and found this: 2001 BMW 330i sedan

As I suspected it is a 2001, which is notorious for failed MK60 DSC ABS modules.
Beased on the random/unrelated error codes, that would be my guess.
Remember that MRS module replacement you did? Well, get ready for another.

·
Administrator
17,204 Posts
Suggest you edit post #1 and remove everything not DSC/ABS related for this thread to keep it focused on that immediate problem.
Otherwise it will be all over the place. Plus, that’s a lot of data for folks to plod through, which may be asking a lot.

·
Registered
2001 BMW 330i Sedan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to mention the year and model E46. Suggest you do this.
I used to have that info but it must have been erased since the site refresh. Added it back. Thanks.

I dug into one of your other threads and found this: 2001 BMW 330i sedan

As I suspected it is a 2001, which is notorious for failed MK60 DSC ABS modules.
Beased on the random/unrelated error codes, that would be my guess.
Remember that MRS module replacement you did? Well, get ready for another. This time get one from a 2004+ 330i.
So your saying it's likely a faulty ABS module that will need to be replaced (preferably with one from a 330i that's 2004 or newer)? I'm just wondering why the ABS lights or DSC or any warning lights don't come on if it's faulty. I've read a lot about people getting the "trinity" lights and whatnot.

·
Registered
2001 BMW 330i Sedan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suggest you edit post #1 and remove everything not DSC/ABS related for this thread to keep it focused on that immediate problem.
Otherwise it will be all over the place. Plus, that’s a lot of data for folks to plod through, which may be asking a lot.
I've removed all other information to keep it focused. I figured more information could help determine the issue but did consider the fact that too much info could derail the thread into other conversations. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Do the abs, brake and dsc lights come on when you turn the key on? (Bulb check function) Does the abs/dsc function normally? Maybe someone put electrical tape on the back of the cluster face to sell it without all of the lights on. I have seen that before. If it really does have all those current codes, the lights would be on and the abs and dsc would be disabled.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 BMW 330i Sedan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do the abs, brake and dsc lights come on when you turn the key on? (Bulb check function) Does the abs/dsc function normally? Maybe someone put electrical tape on the back of the cluster face to sell it without all of the lights on. I have seen that before. If it really does have all those current codes, the lights would be on and the abs and dsc would be disabled.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk
They all light up when I turn on the car. I've done the cluster check to make sure that all the lights functioned.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Clear the errors and see what comes back. Low voltage (as indicated by the second code) will cause all sorts of problems that aren't indicative of a failed control unit. If the codes come back, check the voltage across the battery terminals and then at the DSC unit.

If your DSC control unit is bad it will need to be from another RWD 2001 325 or 330, or an April–Oct 2001 330 if that's what your car is.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
Clear the errors and see what comes back. Low voltage (as indicated by the second code) will cause all sorts of problems that aren't indicative of a failed control unit. If the codes come back, check the voltage across the battery terminals and then at the DSC unit.

If your DSC control unit is bad it will need to be from another RWD 2001 325 or 330, or an April–Oct 2001 330 if that's what your car is.

+1 on clearing the old codes to see if they come back. I also have concerns about the 9v thing...

·
Premium Member
3,692 Posts
Then take a look at the ETM and see which pins on the ABS connector should have 12v on them.

If they do, then pull the ABS electronics unit, and make sure the pins haven't broken their solder traces.

If they have not, the ABS brain is no longer compos mentos and sadly, must be replaced by a MK60 unit that
matches the sensors, as blarf says. What month matters quite a bit, since the MK60 with analog sensors
was only used on the 330 in about a 9 month period.

he says, having one of those...

t
...and coke

Reactions: fonzie

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I've cleared the codes many times and cannot get that low voltage error to go away. I've installed a new battery and alternator.
Check for power at the DSC unit. I think there are three power leads (a small one for switched power and two big constant +12V) and two grounds. You'll probably need a t-pin or something to poke into the connector. Check the grounds, the DSC unit grounds right by the connector, just follow the two brown wires that pop out of the harness. If nothing else has low voltage codes it's probably not your alternator or battery.

·
Registered
2001 BMW 330i Sedan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then take a look at the ETM and see which pins on the ABS connector should have 12v on them.

If they do, then pull the ABS electronics unit, and make sure the pins haven't broken their solder traces.

If they have not, the ABS brain is no longer compos mentos and sadly, must be replaced by a MK60 unit that
matches the sensors, as blarf says. What month matters quite a bit, since the MK60 with analog sensors
was only used on the 330 in about a 9 month period.

he says, having one of those...

t
...and coke
what does the acronym ETM stand for? I'm guessing something along the lines of a diagram of the electronic device?

The production date of my car is 4/2001. Knowing that, will I be able to find the DSC module to replace it with or will I have to dig in there to see the part number to match it with the replacement part?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Check the ground point first. You can check the wiring diagrams if you want but the wiring is pretty straight forward. The big red or red/blue wires are constant power, the big brown wires are ground. There are only four big wires on that connector. If your ground point checks out and you've got 12V, you can dig into a wiring diagram to look for the only other power wire (a small gauge wire for the switched power input).

If you do swap in a new control unit you basically want to avoid the very first revision (CI 1) Mk60. There are a bunch of part numbers on the control unit, look for the BMW part number (seven digits in big text). The ones you want to avoid for sure are 6-752-678 (CI 1), 6-753-841/842 (repair kit for CI 1 units), and anything meant for a newer car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I want to start off by saying that I have no warning lights going off in my car. I'm doing some code clearing and I want to get to the root of these errors that are coming up, specifically the ones for ABS because those are the ones that are showing up as currently present.

My car: 2001 BMW 330i Sedan

View attachment 926874

Reading from BMW Scanner:

ABS* -> 5E15/C0 - CAN Timeout EGS

Errors after clear:

5E15/C0 - CAN Timeout EGS
This is going to sound weird but make sure your tires are full of air... i had around the same codes, no lights on my car but i did have the 9v code and charged my battery up and it still showed that same code, but i noticed one of my tires was running a tiny bit flat i filled it up and boom all these codes were gone. Simple as that. I could not clear these codes at all and i had 5 codes as you do (the first two are ones that i had as well). Maybe your tire being somewhat flat triggers all these codes and you don't know why because you've already done everything else... but it could be just that.

Even if all tires look inflated... check the PSI bc our eyes are deceiving.

·
Registered
2001 BMW 330i Sedan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I had a mechanic check the codes with his expensive $10,000 computer and he was able to clear the codes. He said I shouldn't worry about it if the lights on my dash aren't lighting up. I will keep an eye on it and see if they come back on, but as of now it seems like it's all functioning properly.

·
Administrator
17,204 Posts
So your saying it's likely a faulty ABS module that will need to be replaced (preferably with one from a 330i that's 2004 or newer)? I'm just wondering why the ABS lights or DSC or any warning lights don't come on if it's faulty. I've read a lot about people getting the "trinity" lights and whatnot.
I edited my earlier post suggesting to replace your MK60 with a newer (2004+) one. I forgot the pre-09/2001 units use different wheel speed sensors (and yaw rate sensor I think). Blarf is correct. Yours is in that period which uses the early wheel speed sensors which are not compatible with the later ones. Sorry for the misguidance there.

Most likely the problem (and those codes) will return, probably when temperature or shock sets it off. The MK60 uses a proprietary ASIC (no public documentation) that makes those units not so rebuildable/testable, hence why it is hard to find a shop that does them. Replacement with a good used one is the normal course.

You can lookup the wiring diagrams for its connector on bmwteka.com, which will let you electrically troubleshoot the symptoms. Basically you want to measure the signals related to the trouble codes at the DSC connector (while unplugged) to see if they are correct or not. If they are, the DSC is shot. It’s a bit of sleuthing on these and needs some electrical skills.

MK60 wiring diagrams

·
Administrator
17,204 Posts
Having BMW Scanner 1.4 to read the BMW-specific trouble codes is a good start. But ultimately INPA is much more useful as it shows live data on all the DSC-related sensors, has freeze frame data with each trouble code, includes Tool32 for resetting steering angle when needed, etc.

The worst part of all this is that the MK60 is buried under the master cylinder and a royal bitch to access.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.