BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2002 330Ci convertible, MT, 118,000 miles
124 Posts
After I did all that you have done I did use my Schwaben tool to cycle the ABS pump. Just to be sure. Then I got it coded and it's worked perfectly for more than 18 months.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I did cycle ABS also with Schwaben tool when I replaced one of the pressure sensors, got nervous since I realized I should have gotten all wheels up in the air. Luckily no problem arises.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
^Thanks guys.

Having a hell of a time getting the unit coded. I ran through the procedure multiple times and even drove the car for a bit before trying it again, and it still won't "take."

A HUGE thanks to BaliDawg who spent 45 minutes on the phone with me this afternoon helping me try to get it sorted out. :thumbsup:

Error message in BMW Scanner (PA Soft):

Error message in INPA, top half:

Bottom half:

The DSC and brake lights are illuminated on the dash, both yellow. Car drives fine. Even after bleeding, the brake pedal is a little mushier than I'd like, but it's not unsafe.

Any insight on getting this thing coded would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Attachments

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts
After seeing the "LWS" in your screen shot above and reading the end of post #2 in Silverdogz thread here
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=17312649&postcount=2
it appears this error is from the steering angle sensor module, which simply needs to be calibrated.

This article covers steering angle calibration.
http://blog.obdii365.com/2015/02/03/reset-bmw-e46-steering-angle-sensor-with-inpa-cable/

Here's another way. Open INPA and navigate as follows: E46, Chassis, MK60, Activate, Steering Angle Calibration, wait a few seconds for the confirmation, done!

And a video for funsies...
https://youtu.be/6zNVZwYSVMg

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well... I tried to get into the ASC/DSC submenu in INPA, and I got the below:

and it kicked me back out to the main menu.

Bad steering angle sensor?

Attachments

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts
I tried to get into the ASC/DSC submenu in INPA...and it kicked me back out to the main menu.
That***8217;s because the ***8220;ASC/DSC***8221; item is for older 323/328 models. Your car has MK60.

Select Chassis, then Steering angle sensor.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts
Only certain versions of INPA actually have the LWS recalibrating.
True. Since INPA is just executing scripts behind the scenes, it’s more about having the UI option to kick off the right script. I’ve seen several ways to initiate steering angle calibration in INPA, and you can do it with a single job in Tool32.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts
Does the MK60 care about the VIN? I coded mine (MK20) and calibrated the angle sensor, and that was 'all' I had to do...
I agree with Bali, the German seems to be telling you to recalibrate the steering angle to the ABS module.
My gut says the VIN doesn***8217;t matter, but I know the VO must be correct for everything to work right and other CAN bus modules to be happy.

I think coding OP***8217;s ABS module succeeded. No errors from NCS Expert and we verified the ABS module now has the car***8217;s VIN. I suspect the VO was written ok.

Pretty sure the steering angle calibration is all that***8217;s left to do here. I texted OP, hopefully I can help him get this done when he gets free.

-Scott
needs to brush up on his NCS Expert skillz...

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts
My version of INPA didn't have the steering angle sensor calibration function. I had to use Tool32, which was included in the software suite I purchased. Followed this IIRC:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890659

Believe I clicked either DSC E46 or DSC MK60, maybe Bali can confirm which one to use for our cars.
Yes, that’s the way to do it using Tool32.

I believe these are the .PRG files for each type of ABS module. All are located under C:\EDIABAS\ECU\
  • Teves MK20: ascmk20.prg, dsc_e46.prg
  • Bosch 5.7: dsc57.prg
  • Teves MK60: dsc_mk60.prg

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts
Just got off the phone with OP. We used Tool32 to run the lenkwinkel (steering angle) job in dsc_mk60.prg, then cleared the related error code in the ABS module and it finally stayed off. He still needs to test drive the car, but I think it's done.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It's a thing of beauty.

(no warning lights)

With Bali's help, I had to use Tool 32 to calibrate the steering angle sensor and FINALLY clear the last code. I would have been completely at sea without everyone's help, so thank you all. :thanks:

Still need to cycle the ABS pump and do a final bleed, but that's small potatoes compared to the electronic hoops I had to jump through...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 340i & 2002 325Ci
3,277 Posts
Getting those lights off my dash after 2 years was the most satisfying repair I did to my E46. Congrats!

Coincidentally the same trifecta (accompanied by periodic limp mode) has plagued my F30 since Thursday. Going to the dealer tomorrow, glad this one's under warranty. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Getting those lights off my dash after 2 years was the most satisfying repair I did to my E46. Congrats!

Coincidentally the same trifecta (accompanied by periodic limp mode) has plagued my F30 since Thursday. Going to the dealer tomorrow, glad this one's under warranty. :rolleyes:
Thanks! And yeah, it was a huge pain in the rear, mechanically and electronically... I told Bali it just confirms my desire to not buy anything newer than an E46 if this is the kind of thing I would have to deal with on a regular basis just to effect a basic repair.

Good luck with the F30 repairs! I hope the dealer does right by you...

21 - 38 of 38 Posts