BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
We just replaced the coolant expansion tank and temperature gauge on my 2005 325xi after the tank cracked and lost all it's coolant on the side of the highway. We were on the side of the road for a while and must have run the battery low with the hazard lights flashing while waiting for the tow truck. We weren't able to take a look at the car until about 7 days later and the battery was dead. Long story short, we jumped the car and replaced the expansion tank and gauge. Now the dash shows three yellow lights: ABS, DSC, and Brake light are on. Any ideas why and how to reset or turn them off? The car feels and runs normal on dry roads.

·
Registered
236 Posts
im gonna reply to this thread that way it doesn't cause confusion to others, but no, mine didn't do any of that, I actually wouldn't be able to give you much advice other than when you jump started it, something may have gotten shorted out, try checking your fuses to make sure they didn't get overloaded

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you jumped the car directly to the battery (on the trunk) and not the dedicated contacts under the hood, chances are that you damaged the ABS module... I would still get the codes read but unfortunately there is no code for that kind of damage (as far as I know). It will most likely tell you that something else is wrong and it is VERY difficult to diagnose that the module itself is damaged. Don't even look up the price to replace the unit with a new one, you need to get the one on there now repaired. These guys seem to have the best reputation BBA REMAN, I have used them before and they are great. They offer lifetime warranty on the repair, EXCEPT if you damage the unit by incorrectly jump starting the car (apparently they can tell that the damage was caused by that).

That is the only connection I can think of between the two incidents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks FrankJR. We jumped the car using te dedicated contacts under the hood. I've tried doing some research and it seems like the car freaks out when the battery dies or has trouble.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks FrankJR. We jumped the car using te dedicated contacts under the hood. I've tried doing some research and it seems like the car freaks out when the battery dies or has trouble.

In that case, get the codes read first and see where that takes you. Maybe a speed sensor or something was damaged during repair or towing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts