E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, Its been about a month and a half since i put in my uuc sways. From the very beginning, i noticed some klonking noise coming from the rear of the car. It sounded like something was rolling around in my trunk, yet the sound isnt moving, nor is it anything moving in my trunk. I dont think its squeaks coming from the bushing. I used a lot of lithium grease on the bushings and links when i did the install. I lifted up my car and checked and everything seemed to be fine and nothing is touching. The funny thing is, i dont hear the noise when im turning.I only hear it when im going slow enough over minor bumps or even just on flat ground. Anyone experiencing or has experienced this similar noise?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Look at the drive shaft to see if it's got any circumferential markings on it. This would indicate one side was sometimes hitting the shaft and making the sound. When turning, is it only in one direction, or both? One would support this possibility.

·
INDEED
1,115 Posts
check your endlinks like JawKnee said, and also make sure the nuts are tight. I used a ViceGrip to hold onto the inner nuts, since I couldn't find a wrench that would hold onto it properly. Also perhaps use some Loctite if the nuts are loose. Also, did you install the rears when the wheels were on the ground or ramps? Cuz that's what the pros recommend... :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm... i checked my endlinks and they were all tight. Does it really make a better difference if i had installed it with the wheels on the ground? i jacked up my car and sat it on car jacks on both sides when i did it. Maybe ill back up onto my ramps this weekend and redo it again. I did make extra care to properly tighten everything with two wrenchs when i did the install, so i really doubt that anything is loose at the endlinks. Would these sways damage my chassis or suspension in any way? I dont think they are that stiff, but i have no idea. Thanks for all the advice guys, but i still need to investigate into this noise.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another note, how snugg should the endlinks be adjusted? Right now, i have adjusted them so that there is no play. Which means, the links are adjusted so that its as short as possible. One more turn and it would not fit. Should the links be this tight? or should it have play about the pivot ends. Thanks guys

·
JawKnee Motorsports
997 Posts
yafool said:
Does it really make a better difference if i had installed it with the wheels on the ground?
The length of the rear endlinks need to be adjusted while the car's suspension is not unloaded...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sounds like your endlinks are not adjusted properly. You need to put the car on ramps or a lift with full weight on the rear suspension in order to adjust the endlinks to the correct length. Make sure all the bolts/nuts are tight including the stop nut on the endlink itself.

If this does not fix the problem check the bar section between the attachment points to the body. There is a specific bend there that needs to clear what looks like an attachment point for the rear differential. If it is touching or hitting..adjust the bars from side to side to provide clearance.

That should clear up your issues..worked for me anyways.

·
INDEED
1,115 Posts
yup, it makes a difference when you tighten with the wheels in the air or not. What may seem like perfect length endlinks may not be fine when the car's full weight is on the endlinks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when the car is down and the suspension loaded, does that make the endlinks shorter or longer? I hope there isnt any damage caused by this. Thanks for the great help guys.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i have exact noise problems with uuc sways. yes, i've gone under the car several times to check clearance problems. I have adjusted the endlinks to the shortest and even took out the stop bolt but the noise is still there. very frustrating.
i've also email Rob serveral times but not too helpful and insisted it's the endlinks problems. anyway, i am going under my car again for adjustments hope there is any luck this time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have the same problem

I have just installed the bars this pasted weekend, and I have the SAME problem. I have done adjustment (shorten the endlink)when the car is on the ground, but it doesn't help.

Please let me know if there is any resolution on this issue.

Thanks

David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.