BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have Continental ContiSport 2's all round and after checking my tyres today it looks as though I'm down to 2-3mm tread on the rears, with slight rubbing on the outer edges, which supposedly is normal for ContiSport 2's due to the side wall spec ? The fronts have slightly more tread with 4-5mm at most. if I change brands I will probably replace all 4. I have 235/35/19 on the fronts and 265/30/19 on the rear.

I'm undecided what to do. I've been quite happy with the ContiSport 2's although in the last 3-4 weeks I've been finding them struggling in the wet, espcially when braking. I'm not sure if this is a mixture of the weather and lack of tread or if thats just how they've always been :)

I've been trying to get a hold of this years Autocar Tyre write up to see the results but haven't managed to get a copy yet. From what I can tell my choices are

ContiSport 2's
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Bridgestone Ptenza S-03
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2/3

I've had a look through the TireRack reviews and I'm quite stunned where the ContiSport 2's were listed (10th).
I hate choosing tyres becuase once you get them, your stuck with them unless spending £800-£1000 is pocket change :D

After some searching I still can't really find many opinions on the forum. My main issue is that being in the UK the weather is quite irregular.
Some of the tyre designs seem drastically different. The ContiSport 2's seem to have a F1 type design with straight grooves. The Michelin and Goodyear seem to have this arrowed design, and the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 seem to be somewhere in between.

The cost of the tyres aren't that different, how do I decide ?? :D

Thanks for any help,
Stuart.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You CAN NOT go wrong with the SO3's ...... The are probably the best max performance tire on the market... Side by side with the pilot sports...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. I've managed to find a number of forum reviews about the S02's but no one seems to have SO3's, and it appears that in the AutoCar magazine tyre tests earlier this year they use S02's rather than S03's because they weren't available for the M3 :(

I really want a high performance tyre but my main concern is that it will be great in the dry and shocking in the wet with the UK weather :) My low tread ContiSport 2's are giving me a nightmare at the minute so I need to do something hehe.

The S03's are the cheapest :) £177.90 for a front, £213.50 for a rear, compared to £190.00 and £230.00 for ContiSport 2's :D

Thanks for the info,
Stuart.

·
Registered
243 Posts
S03's are great. Just don't forget they are summer tyres. I don't remember their temperature rating, but I'm almost sure they are not very good when temperatures are lower than 5C. But in higher temperatures you won't notice if surface is dry or wet.

Dunlops are also very good and do not tramline as much as S03's. I had sp2000, nice grip both in wet and dry.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I recently upgraded to the Pilot Sport AS and have been very happy. They have great wet and dry performance, but I have not used them in the snow yet. I don't believe they come in your size wheel though. Check Michelin.com.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a lot of investigation I've came to the conclusion that I should either get

Goodyear Eagle F1
Bridgestone S03's

This years AutoCar Magazine did a test in last month's magazine which had Pirelli Rossos's first and Goodyears F1's second, but didn't include the Bridgestone S03's.

Unfortunately Pirelli don't make the Rossos in 265/30/19 otherwise I would probably go with them. So that leaves me the Goodyear F1's which from the reviews in the magazine and online are v.good, or the Bridgestone which a lot of people have suggested but I have no structured testing of :D

So which one :D

For those that haven't seen the AutoCar results, first to 4th :

Pirelli P-Zero Ross's [19.5/20]
Goodyear Eagle F1 [19/20]
Michellin Pilot Sport 2 [14.5/20]
Contintenal ContiSport 2 [12/20]
Toyo Proxes T1S [9/20]

Thanks again,
Stuart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts