BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really dislike heavy amounts of rasp. Right now my exhaust is stock, but I definitely plan on changing that in a week or so. So I need your help from those that have experience with exhausts and headers on their E46s.

1) Would doing an axle-back with both resonators produce a lot of rasp with AA headers?
2) If 1) is true, then is an X-pipe my solution?
3) Or is there a good way of doing a cat-back setup that will complement the sound but not have me wake up the entire block as I drive in?

Any input is appreciated :thumbup:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Once you switch to a cat-less header it will be next to impossible to eliminate rasp. If you were to go with the Magnaflow header w/cats, you would have a better chance (IMO) of minimizing rasp! http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=823471

Here are the 3 combinations I have had with Technik gen 2 headers:

Stock resonators 1 & 2 with Dinan mufffler = Ricey Rasp

Magnaflow cat-back = deep growling rasp that sounded like a v6 truck with a magnaflow on it

Borla cat-back (current) = good rasp, but still too much for me combined with too much volume.

To answer your questions....1) depends on the muffler you choose
2) an x-pipe is NOT your solution
3) Not with cat-less headers

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I back up JB.

I have had these combinations with cat-less ceramic coated ebay headers:

* stock ZHP exhaust = raspy all through the RPM range, didn't like it
* stock ZHP exhaust with x-pipe in place of middle resonator = no real change from above (maybe slight performance change but no dyno results to prove it)
* magnaflow cat-back = no rasp at all until 3k RPM, deep growling tone, louder than the stock exhaust configurations, mild rasp above 3k RPMs that turns into a roar the closer you get to red line.

I've concluded its impossible to get rid of rasp without choking the exhaust with restrictive components (and thereby negating any gains from the headers) so long as you have cat-less headers.

I think Aggiee46 is still trying a few different configurations to find a solution without compromising performance

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
man why are you so uptight. :thumbdwn:

just a idea.
Because you posted as if it were fact and proven to accomplish what the OP has asked. If you're just making stuff up, people need to know you're wasting their time and hard earned money. If you won't make it obvious in your posts, then I'm gonna call you on it. There's enough BS to weed through around here as it is.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Steven you need to be able to back up your claims....otherwise your just wasting time and thread space!

I put 2 AR 25's on the Magnaflow cat-back, after the x-pipe, and it barely changed the tone and hardly eliminated any rasp at all. I have read many m3 posts where the AR20 added to the stock exhaust eliminates rasp, but when added to an aftermarket (better flowing) exhaust they hardly do anything. See attacment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't say he's wasting time/thread-space. The poster made a suggestion with a hypothetical claim, to which a reader (JB_ZHP) responded with real-world results. That's productive, IMO, as without the other post I wouldn't have known whether or not such modifications would help me; but now I know :)

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I'm not against people throwing out ideas (brainstorming is good), they just need to clearly differentiate speculation/postulation from that which has been tried and proven to work.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
The magnaflow setup is awesome with headers. Only loud when you go past 4-5k rpms. I don't think it has any rasp, but maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^I'm trying to score a good deal on that exact setup as money is a bit tight after purchasing AA headers.

What about a simple Magnaflow muffler with the 2nd resonator deleted?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Not sure how that setup would sound.. The magnaflow catback uses 2.5" pipes where as the muffler/res delete would still use the oem 2.0" pipes, so it probably wont sound the same.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Anuk, you can hear my car when ur back if you like. I'm running ebay headers, with magnaflow high flow cats and eiseinmann race exhaust - no resonators. It IS raspy, however cams might be a big contributing factor.

Actually, you remember E46er (Hussein) on max? his 325 was supercharged, he was runnig aa headers and eisenmann race muffler as well (no cats) but his car had no rasp at all (from waht I remember) it sounded just perfect! I think he kept the resonators in though... I can ask him

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds good! I'll hit you up next week :)

If you could verify Hussein's setup, that would be great as well.

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
ebay headers + stock exhaust(stock muffler) with resonator deletes + 200 cell spun magna flow cats = rasp.

just fyi.

my plan is to go with a magnaflow x pipe muffler + glass packs or a huge muffler. hopefully that will kill most of the rasp.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
M54B30 + catless headers + straight pipes + magnaflow 14815 = No rasp at all. Well at least I havent noticed any rasp when I had that exhaust on my old car. Very deep sound below 4k and a high pitched , more like screaming sound after 4k. Here is a video. Unless you guys have changed the definition of Rasp, I dont see any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixb_1xK2pOE&feature=channel_video_title

PS. Do not buy AA headers. You're paying $1200 for something that costs $250 from bimmerbrakes. They're all the same headers made in the same China factory. AA havent acknowledged it but we all know this because they keep changing topics when this topic pops out.

But its your money...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts