E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think?

DVD, Mp3, nav, camera control, big screen, touch control, wireless, recording posibility, games and of course a PC for less €€€ than a medium ICE system.
The only problem is how to install
:banghead: perhaps with a electric powered base throw the air vents hmmmmmm :tsk: of course there are easies ways...
Any idea? :dunno:

·
yo mama
1,566 Posts
I thought a tablet PC has to be linked to a desktop PC wirelessly to use its drives etc.. so the tablet is just a wireless touchscreen monitor for a pc basically... I am prob wrong...

·
The Man
328 Posts
would you mount it? If so just get a laptop, i am sure they are cheaper and have more features.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes the lap tops are cheaper, but biger, with a tablet PC you can have the touchscreen, instaled on the car and the dvd-rom and the keyboard on the glove box all conected together.
Perhaps with a lap top going out the glove box...

·
yo mama
1,566 Posts
playinJ30 said:
computers w/out internet access are worthless
maybe you can hook up the AUX in so that you can play MP3's off of you computer w/ 60 gig capacity & lightning fast. You can also hook up to AUX & use it as a dvd player/monitor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
TabletPC's are technically not touch sensitive. They require a special pen, which would not work well on the road. IMO, unless you write your own UI (which is a major undertaking), usability of a pc in a car is really bad.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
No one needs or for that matter has 60 Gb of music depending on the quality its about 1 meg per min so that would be 60,000 min of music or 1000 hous. Just get a 5,10,or 20 gb iPod and connect that.
Namsont- were you on sloat and 19th today at around 1:30 and do you have your daytime driving lights and amber bumper reflectors? If so I saw your car. I only ask because there are soooo few topaz blue cars which is nice cause its unique and awesome!

·
Registered
70 Posts
SpeedinBlueBimmer said:
Namsont- were you on sloat and 19th today at around 1:30 and do you have your daytime driving lights and amber bumper reflectors? If so I saw your car. I only ask because there are soooo few topaz blue cars which is nice cause its unique and awesome!
Nah, must have been someone else. I'm usually in the south bay and have painted bumper reflectors.

·
www.piratecove.org
3,677 Posts
I have 60GB of music :p

Those tablet pc's are...suprisingly...PCs!

You can outfit them with wireless network cards and they can link up to your home network in your driveway, no need to take it in the house.

You can get them for 1500-2000+...same as a laptop.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Or you can hook it up via Bluetooth, the only problem with tablets is the size of the screen, way too big to fit in our cars...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I can see a use if it has NAV. But check out www.gnetcanada.com they make PCs just for cars. Pretty cool although I wouldnt want to have to take out the stock deck b/c i dont like the way that adaptor plate lookes but if you could connect it like an auxilary device to the deck that would be tight.

·
Doesn't like PMs...Email me
2,278 Posts
SpeedinBlueBimmer said:
I can see a use if it has NAV. But check out www.gnetcanada.com they make PCs just for cars. Pretty cool although I wouldnt want to have to take out the stock deck b/c i dont like the way that adaptor plate lookes but if you could connect it like an auxilary device to the deck that would be tight.
Gnet is a rip off. They take products (like the Xenarc 700TS http://www.spysupply007.com/LCD_Screens/Xenarc/700TS.html) The call it the Gnet VGA touch screen (http://www.gnetcanada.com/mobilevideo.asp) and kick the price up from $550 to $650. The take other people pruducts, call it their own, and kick the price. Thats so not cool.

-CynicalWry

·
2,278 Posts
SpeedinBlueBimmer said:
Yea that's messed up but I was talking about that auto PC that can also do NAV. Thats tight. Do they have those any where else for less money?
That is the cheapest that the touch screen can be found. I ordered mine friday and should be here late next week.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Are you going to connect it to a laptop? I've been on a Mac but since it's getting pretty old I'm starting to look at new computers. If I got somewhat compact PC Laptop that fit in the glovebox could I keep it closed but still have it on and working with GPS and have that connected to the mounted screen?

·
2,278 Posts
SpeedinBlueBimmer said:
Are you going to connect it to a laptop? I've been on a Mac but since it's getting pretty old I'm starting to look at new computers. If I got somewhat compact PC Laptop that fit in the glovebox could I keep it closed but still have it on and working with GPS and have that connected to the mounted screen?
Go buy one of those Cappuccino PCs instead of a laptop if you plan on not using the LCD. (http://www.cappuccinopc.com)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts