E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my oil dipstick yesterday:

I notice a small amount of mayo on the uppermost-top of the (however it's positioned on the picture), and it's probably due to condensation. The oil on the dipstick, bottom-wise, looks fine and no mayo there. No engine trouble or anything, and yes, I do take short trips - 6 miles roundtrip to and fro work. Castrol 5w30 European Oil should do. I got my oil changed last year October and thought 3k miles should do the trick, but with short trips, I guess every 3 months?

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,760 Posts
It wants a long drive...you don't need to change your oil every 3 months. With an LL-01 oil you can go 15K...which I did many years with mine--between 12-15k miles. My car ran great up to 386k miles, so I can't be convinced oil needs to be done sooner. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I use Vavoline European Oil 5W30. Is it rated as LL-01 if it’s advertised as LL-01 oil?

Correction: European Oil 5w40.

Therefore this oil is categorized and certified for BMW LL-01? Even with short trip I can go beyond 3k miles? Clarification needed, thanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've been wanting to get my hands on that stuff, hard to fine in my area. But I'll stick to the Castrol 5w40 which is preforming fine.
Your right that's condensation. I drive about the same distance as you to and from work. However, I use the free way for 3 miles and I gun it! I'm sure the engine is up to temp. At 4am I usually hit 100mph quickly.
I changed my oil around the same time last September...and I'm at 3k miles... for 8mos. I'll change the oil maybe at the start of 2021.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
You need to take the long way home once in a while. You're not driving your car long enough to cook out the water vapors that gather as a natural thing. You don't say where you are posting from, but if you are in a cold climate then your car warms up a little bit but not fully, and vapors collect. This repeats on the trip home, then on the trip to work and this goes on and on. Your driving profile is bad for your car. The single short trip here and there are no big deal, but a constant life of short trips is bad. You should make a habit of going somewhere that takes 30-ish minutes to get to, the longer the better, so that you can bring the engine up to full operating temp.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been wanting to get my hands on that stuff, hard to fine in my area. But I'll stick to the Castrol 5w40 which is preforming fine. Your right that's condensation. I drive about the same distance as you to and from work. However, I use the free way for 3 miles and I gun it! I'm sure the engine is up to temp. At 4am I usually hit 100mph quickly. I changed my oil around the same time last September...and I'm at 3k miles... for 8mos. I'll change the oil maybe at the start of 2021. Cheers! Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Okay. I will have to do that. Thanks! I usually drive 40-50 mph for like 8-10 minutes back and fro to work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You need to take the long way home once in a while. You're not driving your car long enough to cook out the water vapors that gather as a natural thing. You don't say where you are posting from, but if you are in a cold climate then your car warms up a little bit but not fully, and vapors collect. This repeats on the trip home, then on the trip to work and this goes on and on. Your driving profile is bad for your car. The single short trip here and there are no big deal, but a constant life of short trips is bad. You should make a habit of going somewhere that takes 30-ish minutes to get to, the longer the better, so that you can bring the engine up to full operating temp.
No, I live in Tennessee - short winter.

·
Premium Member
2005, E46 Convertible, 330CI M Sport, Mystic Blue, 76k Miles
218 Posts
Time to go on a long drive and get it up to temperature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts