BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this could potentially apply to all the pillars, but has anyone bought replacements that don't match shade-wise?

After deliberating for months on spending the money for new A pillars, I finally did and installed new ones- part numbers 51437902933 and 51437902934 (SCHWARZ/ black). The new ones look like a dark grey, the old ones are black along with the headliner. I re-used the strips in the middle that cover the bolts and they are black.

The contrast between the lighter new pillars and the pre-existing stuff like headliner and strips is noticeable. Has anyone else ran in to this, like this is just the way it is or?

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
189 Posts
Oooof that sucks. I would've suggested fade in the fabric over time, but you said the new ones were lighter. I may be talking out of my ass here but maybe BMW changed suppliers from when the car was new, until now.

I agree, you could try using some fabric spray paint on the strips, that's probably the cheapest option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I can't get over the contrast and just live with it I'm thinking I might return them (if possible), and have the old ones professionally recovered (I attempted to DIY repair/fix the old ones an the glue turned in to a mess and the whole thing just became too irritating 😂). Want it to look perfect.

Or there's the idea the supplier/ production batch may be the issue which prompted me to ask here which will help me decide what to do (if I can't live with the contrast)

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,069 Posts
I
If I can't get over the contrast and just live with it I'm thinking I might return them (if possible), and have the old ones professionally recovered (I attempted to DIY repair/fix the old ones an the glue turned in to a mess and the whole thing just became too irritating 😂). Want it to look perfect.

Or there's the idea the supplier/ production batch may be the issue which prompted me to ask here which will help me decide what to do (if I can't live with the contrast)
It's the later very much so. I've seen it more and more recently. Also many suppliers have gone bankrupt, and vendors change, and the part doesn't match. Really sucks.

BMW has had issues with discerning the difference between anthricte and black for decades.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,530 Posts
You don’t have your year and model shown anymore? What is it please?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the later very much so. I've seen it more and more recently. Also many suppliers have gone bankrupt, and vendors change, and the part doesn't match. Really sucks.

BMW has had issues with discerning the difference between anthricte and black for decades.
Interesting, thanks that's what I wanted to know. Chances are re-ordering will yield same results...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts