BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lovely water leak in my driver's side A-Pillar. I'm about to take it apart for the third time, but I'm 90% sure its not the sunroof drain. When I use the hose with the A-Pillar off there is no leak, but right now there is a slight drizzle outside and it has caused it to leak.

If anyone has any ideas or recommendations it will help. I have searched, but I think this ones different, its a slight leak and isn't the drain. I think it might be the windshield. Any ideas would be great though

Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
could be the windshield if its been replaced before. easy way to check the sunroof drains is to open the roof and stream water directly into the drain holes. it should then leak out under the car behind the wheel well. do both sides. if it doesnt drain out quick then its probably clogged. clear it out with an air compressor

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
i had this problem too. it was caused by a missing clip on the trim piece that goes all the way from front to back over the doors. (The one that is chrome on the 330's etc)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
i had this problem too. it was caused by a missing clip on the trim piece that goes all the way from front to back over the doors. (The one that is chrome on the 330's etc)
+1 ... I have the same problem. My trim piece is black. It runs on the outside above the door. I was asking for a pic so I could pinpoint it better. Check to see if your trim piece is in place properly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that advice, I'll check the trim pieces in the morning, I took the pillar off to see where it was from and nothing so far. Its a small leak.. fml

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could be the windshield if its been replaced before. easy way to check the sunroof drains is to open the roof and stream water directly into the drain holes. it should then leak out under the car behind the wheel well. do both sides. if it doesnt drain out quick then its probably clogged. clear it out with an air compressor
did this numerous times

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Does the leak come in between the door and the pillar/roof where the foam/rubber is?

That's a better word, door vapor barrier. (thx jcs...)

Either way i'd double check the black/chrome trim on the outside of the car. It runs from the front to rear along side the windows then the top of the doors.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Check the door vapor barrier to see if it is attatched properly...you'll have to take off the door panel to see it, of course.

There are also drain holes in th edoor itself that may be clogged, these are worth checking.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm talking A-Pillar top left and it drips on my leg if you can get a visual. Its all the way in the front by the windshield. I guess i'll have to take a picture. It leaks into the A-Pillar itself, and you can then see it begin to collect on the grey pillar.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just in case anyone searches this, I found the leak by spraying soapy water around my windshield and blowing compressed air from the inside. Bubbles blew up toward the top part of my windshield, which is where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
26,321 Posts
OP, check the drains by the plungers for the hood...they're on the outside edge of car where you can't see them...especially if you've got crap in there.

Also, this drain being clogged would be a bigger problem if your windshield cowl is cracked (cowl is plastic piece directly under the wiper blades).

If it's cracked, water will get where it's not supposed to be. On rt. side this crack could also allow water to migrate to ecu...not good.

I doubt it's the windshield...could be, but the odds are against it I think...once window is adhered with that 'caulk' it's on and sealed...issue is elsewhere.

Search also for water leaks...many drains that need to be open for car not to fill with water. Yes, vapor barrier, but also drains in rocker panels behind front wheel well...in front of rear...and for sedans, below B pillar ii not mistaken.

Get the crap out of hood drain and check cowl...replace if cracked (easy diy).

Oh, there's also a drain below the cabin air filter...so open it up and make sure those two holes are clear also...probably is, but you never know. So many owners seem to just think it's a bmw and a good car so it will take care of itself as long as they run it through a car wash. Personally, I think my car loves it when I rub her gently in those secret little places (you know, like dogs like it when you rub behind their ears!).

HTH

Doug

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think I have a similar leak. Mine is the passenger side a-pillar about 3/4 way towards the top. I leaks (can't tell from where, I will be talking the interior pillar cover off as soon as the weather breaks (no garage, fml). I will try the recommendations here. And I will take a picture and post where the leak is too.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have this too on the driver side...soaks my floor...any idea in the sunroof..Where are the drain holes located and how do you clean them...is it a tube or just a hole

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i had the same problem with a water leak running down my A pillar, i assumed it was my sunroof drains were clogged or something, but took off half of A pillar and pulled down the interior roof and noticed that my drainage tube was disconnected and that led to the water leak cause it was disconnected and it just went straight down inside my car

1 - 17 of 17 Posts