BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew how the A-pillar airbag deployed, and how that would affect any gauge pods mounted on there. I'm intending on putting 2 up there, 3 if I can get away with it (probably not), but am not looking forward to getting one stuck in my eye socket in case of an airbag deployment.

Any ideas? And if it's undoable, any alternatives? I know about the ATI ePod but am not totally sure if I like the look of it.

Thanks!

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,528 Posts
You could always not put a pillar gauge-pod on a BMW, but that's me :dunno:

I would avoid it at all costs (me for purely aesthetic reasons) just 'cause of the airbag -- I think it's pretty safe to assume it would launch towards your face in case of deployment.

You can place gauges on the sunglass tray instead... I forget who sells 'em, though.

·
Hawaii 3.0
5,373 Posts
leatherz.com

I wouldn't put anything on the pillars for safety reasons

·
Registered
281 Posts
just curious, what gauges were you planning on putting in the pod??

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
If you want to put gauges on your pillars I suggest looking for a Civic for sale. I heard you can get a package deal with A-pillar gauges and giant honda stickers which add 50 hp. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you want to put gauges on your pillars I suggest looking for a Civic for sale. I heard you can get a package deal with A-pillar gauges and giant honda stickers which add 50 hp. :rolleyes:
LOL! Sorry, I must say that is funny. But if you are gonna be getting some gauges I do agree you should put them in the sunglass tray or get them custom molded on in the middle of the dash...

·
Registered
273 Posts
piller pod in a e46 is a bad idea.... I've seen how the curtain airbags deploy and if you do a piller style guage mount and wreck will be reading your oil pressure of your forhead for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
730 Posts
For all the people that are ragging on civics and telling him to get one, grow up. As for mounting them on the a pillar i wouldnt do that due to the air bags. either get the wheel pod or make yourself a custom gauge holder to replace your sunglass holder.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't mind civics.... It's the idiots that drive them. Mainly because it's directed to a younger crowd because they are cheap. Beggining modders that don't klnow what there doing and just do what advertisements tell them to. My buddy has a civic and i'll quote him... "FWD will out handle RWD anyday. My car beat the new corvette on the track"

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I appreciate your inputs, and as far as the Civic comments go, I'm one of those people that thinks every performance-oriented car should have an oil pressure & temperature gauge. Which also happens to be the two I intend to install, plus a volt meter if I have the room. No NOS or anything silly... you don't see any spoilers on my car, do you? :)

I'm looking at the A-pillar because I have a double-DIN head unit, and coincidentally also climate control which leaves no room for the intended LeatherZ package (which I've already ordered, btw, just need to figure out a nice place to put them).

So having established that A-pillar is a bad idea, and the head unit doesn't have any room, what other suggestions can you come up with?
Any experience with the steering wheel holder? At first glance I think gauges there look even more out of place than on the A-pillar but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You could mount on the steering columb. thats where i put my boost guage in my Audi. or you could remove cigarette lighter and ash tray and fab a custom mount there. Else you could always mount right on the dash with a fancy holder looking thing

1 - 20 of 35 Posts