E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunno: Hey all i have had a set of oem xenons for sometime now, but neice broke the lens on one of them so i am waiting to get some new/good condition ones until i drop them in(BTW-if anyone knows of/has a set of preface sedan lenses they wanna get rid of let me know.) anyway while they have just been sitting there. i started wondering a few things.

1. the chrome on my projector shroud seems pretty thin, and transparent. as if its thinning off. is this normal or should i start looking for a new set of shrouds.

2. if my shrouds are worn, how hard are they to replace?

3. What is the color output of oem xenons. i hooked mine up and they are pretty purple. last night i pointed them at the garage door(white) and they lit the whole thing up in a purple color. Now is this how all oem xenons are, because from all the pics ive seen of them they are all bright white and the only places of color is at the cutoff. mine look like the 6000k pics i see on the web, but im just not sure since xenons are associated with being purplish as well as different colors.

4. next what kind of bulbs do you guys recommend. If indeed these are oem, i would like to get a set of bulbs with nice violet/purple color but that are still bright. I understand the higher the color temp the lower the lumens. so what do you guys recommend from your experiences.

5. another thing i wondered while i was messing with them, is what kind of things shouldnt you do with xenons. like i was turning them on and off, and i started thinking, "this probably isnt too good for them" so some things that i shouldnt do to prevent the failure of ballast/ignitor/bulbs etc.

6. lastly (for now) what can i do to remove the "light failure" indicator that comes up after a while on the dash. from my understanding you can play with resistors or take out fuse no. 32 i believe. I would much rather take out the fuse. so what works best for you guys. plus how hard is it to retrofit/hook up autolevel, and how do you adjust these?

i could ask more questions but i dont wanna overwhelm you guys n girls, plus i think this is good for now:p

THANKS ALOT TO THOSE WHO REPLIED AND TOOK THEIR TIME READING THIS BOOK OF QUESTIONS. I WOULD HAVE POSTED PICS, BUT AT THE MOMENT I HAVE NO DIGI-CAM. THANKS AGAIN ALL LOOKING FORWARD TO THOSE REPLIES.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
1. the chrome is fine unless you see actual flaking no need to replace. its a very thin plastic desined only to fill the gap between the housing and projector to give it a "finished" look.

2. no not to hard to relace.

3. OEM xenons are 4,300K color temp White/yellow. its hard to tell the true color of xenons from pictures. and some times even in person. the projector reflects light diffrent ways from diffrent angles. if your used to Halogen lights and now comparing Xenons i can see how and why you think they are purple. if possible find a buddy with another BMW that has OEM xenons and see if the colors match.

4. the OEM bulb type is D2s. i recomend buying a set of Prolumen bulbs. they are cheaper than OEM phillips/Osram bulbs by about $100, BUT they give you a LIFETIME warranty as opposed to Phillips/Osrams 1 or 3 years. if you want that white/purple color light then you want a 8,000K bulb. Even then the bulb will be a White/blue. by going with 8,000K bulbs you actually lose 30% the light output of the stock 4,300K bulbs. the only way to get the white purple you want is to get 10,000K. at that point your only a tad brighter than a regular halogen bulb. my personal preference is 5,000K (PURE WHITE) and 6,000K (White with a hint of blue)

5. turning the xenons on and off on and off is not a good thing for them as it will wear the ballast faster. thats why xenons are not recomended for high beam use.

6. you could pull fuse 32 for the quick cheap fix. or if you want it done right go to the dealer and have them reflash your LCM with the xenon program. (NOTE. if you pull fuse 32 and a xenon light does fail to light the dash will NOT light up to let you know) i personally dont give a damn for the simple fact that if a xenon light blows out you will notice that 1 side of the car is dark as hell right away.

hope this helped
Luis

·
(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)
2,282 Posts
I will try to answer on some of your questions:
1 & 2 - Can't vouch on this, I will let other fanatics answer for you.
3 - It seems to me that the previous owner had replaced the bulb with a 6000K on those xenon. When you first turn it on, the lights look like purple for 30 seconds or so and then it will turn to white with purple hue. OEM is 4300K like I had before that shine white with little dub of yellow hue.
4. Like I said above, 6000K and below is what I recommended. If you want little bluish color go 8000K (but less lumen).
5 - I don't think it will do any harm, but I might be wrong.
6 - If pulling fuse no. 32 works for you (without flashing the ECU) then that's your answer. About the autolevel function, it is not that hard. At the rate of difficulty from 1 to 10, I'll say 6 or 7. I have a PDF file of the installation instructions or you can search on the forum for more information. "Ausfarht" (SN) sells the wire harnesses for the sensors level connection Wire "A" & "B". Once you've installed and make all the connection, you will need to replace your LCM and then bring it to the dealer to flash it to make your autolevel function to work.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jguys For The Replies, My Lights They Have A Color Similar To That Of Those Bright Parking Lot Lights. About How Much Does The Auto Level Retro. Cost. Also On The Back Of The Headlights There Are A Couple Of Things That Wonder About. What Is This Small Connection That Is Towards The Center Top On The Back Of The Headlight, Has A Couple Prongs In It, And What Are These Two Star Wheel Things, Are These To Adjust The Height?

·
Registered
979 Posts
donjuan45i said:
6. lastly (for now) what can i do to remove the "light failure" indicator that comes up after a while on the dash. from my understanding you can play with resistors or take out fuse no. 32 i believe. I would much rather take out the fuse. so what works best for you guys. plus how hard is it to retrofit/hook up autolevel, and how do you adjust these?
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=367566 Refer to that thread for alternate solution if the fuse-pulling doesn't work...

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
donjuan45i said:
Thanks Jguys For The Replies, My Lights They Have A Color Similar To That Of Those Bright Parking Lot Lights. About How Much Does The Auto Level Retro. Cost. Also On The Back Of The Headlights There Are A Couple Of Things That Wonder About. What Is This Small Connection That Is Towards The Center Top On The Back Of The Headlight, Has A Couple Prongs In It, And What Are These Two Star Wheel Things, Are These To Adjust The Height?

the prong thing is the plug in for the auto level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts