E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this stuff is a bit over whelming for me, so if anyone could help me out, that would be great.

1. sounds like I need a new tranny...I have a 99' 323 auto, I hear 2000+ came with step...can I put 2000 step tranny in mine fairly easily?

2. can you put a different differential in an auto to get better acceleration?

3. If you were in my position and your 99' 323i needs a new tranny and is going to cost 2g's plus anyways...what kind of setup would you do? 5/6 speed swap, new step?

thanks for any help :bow:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
3. If I were in your situation, the car is BEGGING for a 6speed (or 5, since 6 is $$$) along with a lower rear differential. Manual literally makes a 1 second difference in your 0-60 and the diff will also give you a big boost in acceleration.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
All 2.5L auto tranny cars came from the factory with a 3.46 diff. There is no other readily available diff that will improve your performance. The 3.64 that comes in auto tranny 2.5L Z4's should work but plan on buying that from the dealer since they are very scarce in the junkyards so the price will be almost as high as new.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nico3k said:
3. If I were in your situation, the car is BEGGING for a 6speed (or 5, since 6 is $$$) along with a lower rear differential. Manual literally makes a 1 second difference in your 0-60 and the diff will also give you a big boost in acceleration.
how much would this cost? sounds pretty involved to go from auto to manual.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
L-I-B said:
how much would this cost? sounds pretty involved to go from auto to manual.
It wouldn't be very cheap, but I think (don't quote me on this) that the manual tranny will be cheaper than getting a step. As slow323ci mentioned, you already have the lowest geared readily available diff, so you can just keep the one you have now and use it with the manual tranny.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I just looked it up and I think my car already has a 3.46 diff...so I guess I wouldn't have to buy that. Have any ideas on what year tranny's would be compatiable on my car?

·
Para-Magic
652 Posts
i think all year e46 trannys are interchangeable. THe 99 may use a different computer than the 2000 as the 2000 is a steptronic. the manuals are all interchangeable, if you do the tranny swap you will need a different driveshaft for the manual. these are not interchangeable as the differential input flange is a different fit after 2001.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So would you recommend getting a newer 5 speed? say an 00' and up? That would be awesome to get a 6 speed but I hear you have to shorten the driveshaft or somthing. Thanks so much for the help, any other opinions would be awesome. :bow:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts