E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 330Ci into The BMW Store near Cincinnati for Ibspection I (25K miles). They are a great shop -- very clean, professional, customer-oriented.

They were not able to solve a couple of small problems that I wanted to see if others have experienced.

Driver door does not close easily. They started talking about the seals, and I explained that the door stops short of hitting the seals and thought the problem was a slight misalignment of the door that was typical on E46 coupes. Well, sure enough, they just followed the TSB and replaced the seal -- and the door still does not close easily. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, AM radio reception is terrible and they said BMW has put out a TSB saying it is a result of aftermarket window tinting. True?

Last thing is that I get a distinct rubber-burning smell when driving hard (nothing outrageous, just in the 4K RPM range) that is evident when I stop the car. They did not find anything. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My AM reception sucks as well and i have no tinting. My service manager admitted it was a crummy radio tuner design.

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,524 Posts
door thing - yes sometimes i close it sand it sounds like it hits something and doesnt close all the way

am radio - no, not tinting, mine sucks too, heard someone say they told their dealership and they replaced the radio

burning smell - brakes :dunno:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
A BMW tech said this was normal. Even when I showed him inside the door latch (not the silver hook) but the lock itself, the plastic on it was worn. He said this is normal and the doors seems misaligned but arent, it is just because the coupe doors are heavy because they are longer and have more ridgid support than sedan doors.

SkipII said:
Took my 330Ci into The BMW Store near Cincinnati for Ibspection I (25K miles). They are a great shop -- very clean, professional, customer-oriented.

They were not able to solve a couple of small problems that I wanted to see if others have experienced.

Driver door does not close easily. They started talking about the seals, and I explained that the door stops short of hitting the seals and thought the problem was a slight misalignment of the door that was typical on E46 coupes. Well, sure enough, they just followed the TSB and replaced the seal -- and the door still does not close easily. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, AM radio reception is terrible and they said BMW has put out a TSB saying it is a result of aftermarket window tinting. True?

Last thing is that I get a distinct rubber-burning smell when driving hard (nothing outrageous, just in the 4K RPM range) that is evident when I stop the car. They did not find anything. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
345 Posts
who the hell listens to AM radio anyway:dunno:

·
Unregistered User
427 Posts
Dalton said:
burning smell - brakes :dunno:
could be the clutch. unless the original guy has an auto..

·
Loves cookies
1,537 Posts
i had the same door problem, its due to a small clip in the door hinge that bends or breaks off and blocks the door from closing all the way. My dealer changed it without any problems, my service advisor told me that it's a $2 part that they'll probably have to order.

·
Registered
254 Posts
the inner door panel is rubbing against the window seal...

if you roll your window all the way down and then look at the seal as you close your door, you'll see what i mean...

they just moved my door panels forward about a 1/4 inch

pretty common issue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.