BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently with the a/c on, i've been hearing a noise eminating from the center air vents. It sounds like the vents are moving, sorta like a winding noise. It happens every few seconds and its quite audible with the music on. i'm not sure if this is normal or not, but it is getting a bit annoying. Also, i read somehwere that sometimes after the a/c is turned off, the vents would reposition themselves making the same sound for a few seconds. However, my vents seem to be repositioning themselves every time i turn the a/c off. Can some1 tell me if they have experienced this and if its normal or should i have it checked out by the dealer?

Thank You,

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,579 Posts
Hmmm...sounds like the problem I'm hearing in mine too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
SLuR said:
Recently with the a/c on, i've been hearing a noise eminating from the center air vents. It sounds like the vents are moving, sorta like a winding noise. It happens every few seconds and its quite audible with the music on. i'm not sure if this is normal or not, but it is getting a bit annoying. Also, i read somehwere that sometimes after the a/c is turned off, the vents would reposition themselves making the same sound for a few seconds. However, my vents seem to be repositioning themselves every time i turn the a/c off. Can some1 tell me if they have experienced this and if its normal or should i have it checked out by the dealer?

Thank You,
I have noise coming from my center vents too with the AC on... Sounds kinda like a spinning brush hitting metal (like a pfft pffft pfft)... sometimes it soudns like a cricket

Anyone ever resolve this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
actually, you might even describe it as metal on metal sound, like two plates slightly brushing up against eachother

i'm guessing that if the sounds is coming from the center top of the dash, then its the blower in some way

·
Registered
529 Posts
Every sound description fits the bill for me. Yesterday "metal brush"...today cricket. Also noticed when manually shut down A/C..the "chirp goes high pitched very briefly before it goes away. So far appears to happen only with A/C on. Has anyone yet resolved or diagnosed this issue?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine does it when i start up. The aircon always comes on with the ignition...bloody annoying... when i turn it off it makes the psft past,sorta noise for about 3 seconds then silence. hmm

·
Registered
80 Posts
faded67 said:
Every sound description fits the bill for me. Yesterday "metal brush"...today cricket. Also noticed when manually shut down A/C..the "chirp goes high pitched very briefly before it goes away. So far appears to happen only with A/C on. Has anyone yet resolved or diagnosed this issue?
not sure so much on the cricket noise, but i too had the metal on metal brushing noise... my a/c was also cool/cold on the driver side and roomtemp/cool on the passenger side....

I RECHARGED my a/c system, now it's much colder AND the noise is all but gone... I still can hear very minute noise every now and then, and I'm thinking it's because I have a leak somewhere in the dash area... but trust me, noise drastically reduced.

·
Registered
532 Posts
hey you guys, i had the same problem...i replaced the micro filter and shot air from a compressor through the opening where the micro filter sits...worked fine, although i didnt have metal/metal sound, more like an old man not able to catch his breath...but it went away!!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Update, I took my car to the dealer for the vent noises and other misc things. They found that the blower in the center vent was going bad and replaced it under warentee. All of the noises from the vent are gone, but I am no dealing with an annoying passenger-side door rattle (bad clips).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Good stuff, I had this problem before and it was my Final Stage Relay under the glove department that had to be replaced. Good luck to the rest of you...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts