BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. I was able to remove the compressor, suction tube, dryer, dryer hose and condensor hose (and replaced same) without lifting front end off ground.

2. If only replacing dryer, it can be done without removing head light assembly but make sure dryer is not the welded top kind. Simply remove plastic molding below headlamp asssembly, loosen dryer bolts and slide old dryer down. Replace with new dryer (slide up). My after market dryer had welded seams at the top and prevented enough room to slide through dryer bracket.

3. FYI, the OEM o-rings were in good shape although I did replace those that I could.

4. I did flush the system with A/C system flush and an air compressor by the procedure found on the e46 forum. I did not get much gunk out of it other than some old dye. If you do pressure flush the sytem, do not include the expansion valve, keep the condensor to dryer hose attached to the condensor and place the dryer end into a large cup held on place by a rag. The a/c flush will shoot out very fast. Remove the hoses from the a/c compressor..you are only flushing the condensor. If using the original suction tube, remove this from fire wall and flush

5. I took off the passenger side headlilght assembly, fan shroud, fan clutch, washer tank and secondary air meter for more room.

6. All necessary items were removed in logical order and replaced as same.

7. The old compressor was removed from under the car and the new one was replaced in the same fashion. Took little time without any frustration.

8. Do not use the bolt that comes with the new compressor to hold the shipping plugs in to attach the new compressor to the car. They are of different sizes and go into different holes (even though they look similar). However, working from above in a low light situation, it is possible to mistake them. I did.

9. I used Bayer manufactured compressor and dryer hoses. The dryer side o-ring nipples are obviously the same size as OEM but the top part of each is larger than OEM. For this reason it was impossible to match both nipples correctly to the dryer holes. I had to bench grind them down so they would fit. Not too terribly difficult.

10. I had an indy check for proper vaccum and recharge once complete.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info! You said you flushed compressor? You are not supposed to do this, actually (however, later on you are writing about a new compressor, a bit confused).

I flushed the system with a/c flush and a compressor (as in air compressor). I edited the verbage to better reflect this fact. I added a new compressor in place of old worn out one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Non sure but I can tell you it was not alcohol based. I think it may have been just PAG or something similar. If I were to do it over, I would look for an alcohol based product....dry time is less. I have since pitched the can and cannot recall the brand. It seemed to have worked ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts