E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I picked up an 320d of a guy who clearly hadn't used it for a long time.
It had a lot of creaks etc which freed up after a couple of weeks. I think it hadn't been driven in at least 2 years.

The AC has never worked for me. The Compressor isn't clicking in at all.

I assume this was due to the freon being low, as I reckon it won't have been filled up for at least 3 years. I've read in loads of places the e46 compressor won't turn on if there isn't enough freon in the system.

The problem I have, is that if you're filling up the gas using a cheap DIY kit (like I'm trying to), you need to have the compressor on to get a pressure reading on the low side port (to make sure the it is the low gas that is the problem). When the compressor is off, the low side pressure is very high, therefore I'm not supposed to put any gas in.

So i'm in a situation where I can't get the compressor on, because (I assume) the gas is too low, and I can't fill the gas up because the low side pressure is way to high, due to the the compressor being off.

What do i do!? Do i just add gas and hope the compressor will turn itself on when it detects the gas? Do I try and drain the whole system with the compressors turned off? Or do I give up and go to a garage!?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Did you resolve your issue? I have similar issues

·
Registered
4 Posts
My problem was the little plug going on the evaporator on to the pressure sensor it had a loose wire.
everything worked only the compressor wouldnt engage no 12v on the compressor plug.
After i fixed the wire the ac engaged again.
This plug or jack is located in front of your front right wheel behind the headlight its plugged on the sensor which is screwed on top of the evaporator and it has 3 wires going to it, (corrosion made my wires fall of)
I know this is a late post but i am just posting because there are many other bimmer drivers still having these issues, and hardly anybody posts his fix.
so this is my fix i hope it works for you.
Greets

·
Registered
16,145 Posts
My problem was the little plug going on the evaporator on to the pressure sensor it had a loose wire.
everything worked only the compressor wouldnt engage no 12v on the compressor plug.
After i fixed the wire the ac engaged again.
This plug or jack is located in front of your front right wheel behind the headlight its plugged on the sensor which is screwed on top of the evaporator and it has 3 wires going to it, (corrosion made my wires fall of)
I know this is a late post but i am just posting because there are many other bimmer drivers still having these issues, and hardly anybody posts his fix.
so this is my fix i hope it works for you.
Greets
The evaporator is inside your dash board. Do you mean the condenser? That's right in front of the radiator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts