BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recharged my A/C it has not been turned on sense 2002 so it was needing some recharging haha

but ya its blowing cold on my drivers side and foot well :thumbsup:

but its not blowing cold on the passanger side?? is there something im missing?

the recharge was to the right pressure and i checked over a few hours to see if im loosing refrigerant but its staying the same and no leaks that i can tell soooo......

What is going on anyone have any insight??

HELP!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
i have sort of the same problem. but i use my A/C unlike you. lol. but it blows not cold but cool air out of the drivers side and warm air out of the passenger side when the A/C is on its coldest and on high. it really sucks. idk im gonna have the dealership look at it sometime. idk though maybe somthin just broke from not bein used in ur case. that happens.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I recharged mine and am having the same issue. Someone please chime in if u know the reason. I've read in another thread this was due to low refrigerant in the system so it configured to keep the driver cool, but after a proper recharge this makes no sense.:hmm:

·
Banned
601 Posts
If the system is charged properly (not low OR overcharged) and still blowing warm on one side, the expansion valve is in need of replacement. It seems to be a common failure item.

·
Banned
601 Posts
is that a spendy fix for our car??

that seems like the problem
The expansion valve is ~$100 or so. The labor to get it R&R'ed is another matter alltogether. My recommendation is to buy the parts yourself then take it to an indie to handle the actual work. I can't find the BMW guideline for labor charge on this as mine was replaced at the same time as the evaporator, and my laptop with that program on it is D.E.D. This way:

1) He has the facilities to properly handle the refrigerant removal (NEVER vent it into the atmosphere)
2) He can get the system evacuated and recharged quickly enough that the receiver/drier assembly wont need replacing (if ambient air is in this too long you will ruin it)
3) You get your car back with working air quickly because A/C work is a PITA

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey i have been running my ac full on and off for the last two days and its starting to get cold on the passenger side??

did the coolant just need to get through the system?

again it was in a wreck and not run sense 2002 so its been a while could it have just dried out?

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
If the system is charged properly (not low OR overcharged) and still blowing warm on one side, the expansion valve is in need of replacement. It seems to be a common failure item.
WHAT????? If the expansion valve was faulty neither side would be cold!!

Charge volume is critical you can have the right pressure but the volume can be wron what are you High and Low side pressures and what is the outside temp and humidity this will give us a better idea of the charge level

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
The expansion valve is ~$100 or so. The labor to get it R&R'ed is another matter alltogether. My recommendation is to buy the parts yourself then take it to an indie to handle the actual work. I can't find the BMW guideline for labor charge on this as mine was replaced at the same time as the evaporator, and my laptop with that program on it is D.E.D. This way:

1) He has the facilities to properly handle the refrigerant removal (NEVER vent it into the atmosphere)
2) He can get the system evacuated and recharged quickly enough that the receiver/drier assembly wont need replacing (if ambient air is in this too long you will ruin it)
3) You get your car back with working air quickly because A/C work is a PITA

All very good advise!!!! except don't buy your own parts, most shops won't install customer supplied parts. Shops survive on a profit of parts and labor mix.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its about 80 degrees on average these days with 20-30 percent humidity during the day and 40-50 percent at night

·
Registered
162 Posts
its about 80 degrees on average these days with 20-30 percent humidity during the day and 40-50 percent at night
There should have been a separate pamphlet wherever you bought the refrigerant, telling you what the low side presure should read at different temperatures. Don't quote me, but I believe 80 degrees equalled something like 45 - 55 psi low-side pressure.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when you guys say low side pressure what are you meaning? are you saying its low pressure is around 45-55 so i need to fill past 45-50? sorry noobish question i know :(

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so i just went out again charged the ac alittle more just to make sure it was good to go and when i checks my ac works on all sides :) maybe it just took a while to circulate through the whole system :p either way

thanks for the help and input :) glad it got worked out it self

1 - 15 of 15 Posts