BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just got stolen and I really need a car soon!

I came across with two 3'ers:

99 328i Sports/Premium, Blk/Tan, 28k miles, $20k
01 330i Sports/Premium, Silver/Grey, 35k miles, $25k

What's you guys opinions? Is the extra 30hp on 330i really make a different? Thanks for the advice.

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,330 Posts
330...dont make the same mistake all us other non-330 owners made.

·
Registered
601 Posts
damn i wish there was a 330 for 25k when i bought my car :rolleyes:

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,716 Posts
wow $25k for a 01 330 with 35k miles? u can't pass up that deal however, kinda sounds low. Might want to get it fully checked out

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the opinion.
My only concern is I really like 02+ 330 with the facelift but can't afford one yet. So does 01 vs 02 330 make some noticeble differences besides the looks?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have an 01 330i and the facelift, as far as i know, is the only difference, besides the adaptive lights (option?). HP, engine, all the same, and maybe some other options.

I may be biased here, but I prefer the pre-facelift look.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've owned a 99 328 5 speed sport since February.

It's not as powerful as a 330, but I like driving it better. The steering doesnt feel as light, and I dont have the complete drive by wire throttle.

I drove a 330, and I hated that throttle pedal, it was too light and it had no feel in it whatsoever. My Golf had that too, hated it. The 328's controls feel much better to me, the throttle pedal is perfectly stiff and you can feel what the engine's doing through it.

But the 330 is still a great car. Your choice.

I'm going to have, in the near future, a full exhaust (UUC TSE2), 3.38 limited slip differential, BFP intake and Conforti chip. That should be able to keep up with the 330's out there, and at a significantly less cost than it would have been to buy a 330 when I was looking for my car.

All that said, I'd still looooooove to have a 330i. But I can't justify selling my car just to get a 30hp boost, especially since I'm hopelessly in love with my car.

Patrick

·
like ma bell, i got the...
1,225 Posts
sckling said:
My car just got stolen and I really need a car soon!

I came across with two 3'ers:

99 328i Sports/Premium, Blk/Tan, 28k miles, $20k
01 330i Sports/Premium, Silver/Grey, 35k miles, $25k

What's you guys opinions? Is the extra 30hp on 330i really make a different? Thanks for the advice.
my roommate got his Integra stolen too ... in PA ... apparently there are a bunch of thieves running around with master keys ... too bad, such a hassle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! My is an Integra too! There're master keys to open any integra? Scary!! No wonder I didn't see any broken glasses when they stole my integra.
I hope 3 series is not as easy to steal (and as popular) as Honda's in the car theif list.

·
Registered
125 Posts
hondas are the easiest cars to break into.. i doubt they used a master key and probally used a slim jim to get into the car..when i had my integra it was stole like 3 times and 2 times in 1 year.

·
Registered
252 Posts
remember, horsepower isn't the only difference between these cars. i know for the coupes (328Ci vs. 330Ci) the 330Ci has bigger brakes, climate control standard, upgraded stereo, heavier clutch and more important than horsepower they have more torque, just to name a few.

·
Registered
402 Posts
chris_bmw330ci said:
remember, horsepower isn't the only difference between these cars. i know for the coupes (328Ci vs. 330Ci) the 330Ci has bigger brakes, climate control standard, upgraded stereo, heavier clutch and more important than horsepower they have more torque, just to name a few.
Well the 330 sedan has the bigger brakes too, and obviously the hp/tq.

I'm not so sure about the other things though. My car came with climate control standard, and my clutch is definitely the same, if not a tad heavier, than a 330i sedan I drove recently. The stereo wasn't the Harmon Kardon and it soudned exactly the same as mine. The H/K isn't that impressive anyway. I got 4 rockford speakers in my car and it sounds much better than the H/K systems. I've heard both.

Again, it's totally subjective. The 330i is faster and more torquey, the 328i offers a better driving feel. For 5 grand more, it's your choice. A 328i plus five grand will get you an ESS supercharger = 302 horsepower.

Patrick

·
Registered
190 Posts
it is icredible how .2 liters (more than a 328) can produce 27 more ponies but for an additional 5 grand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just wondering, besides the hp, how about the handling and ride? Are they the same chasis and suspension setup?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts