BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i explain, I have searched this site and others for this problem for about a week now and nothing similar has come up.

Basically, my lights will not come on, specifically my low beams won't. If i play with the switch for a minute, then just my driver low beam will come on, but the passenger will not. I'm saying it's the ballasts that are going bad, but im also new to the bmw game as well. and as far as i can tell it's not aftermarket lights or anything on it. Is this a sign of bad ballasts or bad ignitors?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I vote bad switch. Especially if you are not getting a lamp out earning on the dash. If you take a picture done the back of your headlights I'll tell you if they are factory hid.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Need more information. It sounds like your lights have been installed for quite some time? They worked fine until recently? Do you have bulb out warnings in your dash cluster? hmmmm:hmm:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have constantly had the same problem, but I think mine are depo, not oem. I've had them fixed, replaced, adjusted, etc over and over. The dealer doesn't seem to have a clue. Now they don't want to connect the angel eyes because they think that's the source of the problem, but now even with the angel eyes disconnected one headlight won't come on. I vote sucky headlights.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I have constantly had the same problem, but I think mine are depo, not oem. I've had them fixed, replaced, adjusted, etc over and over. The dealer doesn't seem to have a clue. Now they don't want to connect the angel eyes because they think that's the source of the problem, but now even with the angel eyes disconnected one headlight won't come on. I vote sucky headlights.
Have you ever had your LCM reflashed for HIDs? If not, do that. You'll lose your highbeams though, unless you know someone with NCS Expert or an Autologic tool

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I don't think re-flashing is really necessary since its so pricey i'd just buy some error code eliminators
I've seen error code eliminators go bad on way too many occasions. In some cases, they've literally exploded. They also get ridiculously hot. It's not worth taking that risk to save $50. Just do it properly and get the car coded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts