BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an E36 M3. I have an opportunity to buy an E46 328i (with sport package) for a very good price. I love my M3, but it does not have sport seats, heated seats, etc (or the quiter ride) of the 328i. The 328i also has a Dinan exhaust and cold air intake system.

I love the power, braking, and handling of my M3. How much of that will I be giving up? Is this a change that I will regret?

Your perspectives are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
handling-wise, a few suspension mods would probably get you some good M3-like handling for the 328, but power wise (and weight wise) you won't be able to make up the difference without drastic measures.

I think i'd keep the M3 if i were you. Maybe buy something for it to freshen it up for you, revive the sense of enjoying it. Give it a new mod instead of switching.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
So I assume you just want to have another car as opposed to selling it and buying an E46. If thats the case, go ahead and buy an E46, shoot for 330, as the 328 will be a big disappointment over to your M3 in power and acceleration. 328s also have a MUCH bigger probability of having an issue with rear subfloor, percentage wise (do a search on E46 subframe issue).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My idea was to sell the M3 - not to have both. I do like the idea of doing something to "freshen up" the M3. And I think I would miss some of the fun of the M3 - part of that is the driving experience, and I guess I have to admit part of it is that I like driving a car that is not so common.

How much of a weight difference are we tlking about anyway?

·
Registered
515 Posts
My idea was to sell the M3 - not to have both. I do like the idea of doing something to "freshen up" the M3. And I think I would miss some of the fun of the M3 - part of that is the driving experience, and I guess I have to admit part of it is that I like driving a car that is not so common.

How much of a weight difference are we tlking about anyway?
The M3 is way more of a driver's car than the e46. The e46 will feel a lot heavier than the e36 and it will feel very underpowered.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
your e36 M3 has more power, is lighter, has better suspension. If you want sports seats, replace yours.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
My car,330i, weights 3318lbs as stated in owners manual, E36 M3 weights 3,219 lbs. 330ci/i with headers will spank an E36 M3 all day, everyday. Dont ask me how I know. E46 330 is generally a much softer car then E46 m3, well obviously because one is an M car and one isnt. But US spec E36 M3 is NOT any better then 330, well at least in my eyes.

I say make the switch, it'll be different but you will like it for sure.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
whats the hp on an e30 M3? inst it around 215 or something?
Its around 200 but he has a E36:facepalm:. So what does this have to do with anything?:hmm:

·
Registered
8,040 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
a 323i is the only car that will come anywhere near the performance of your M. i thought about trading in my 330, but when i test drove the 323 i just couldn't handle the power. it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Its around 200 but he has a E36:facepalm:. So what does this have to do with anything?:hmm:
right, my mistake, typo... the euro E36 was about 280 hp and the US had about 240. the point is that a newer E46 330 has about 225, so with headers hes in the same boat power-wise and would have a newer car. and dont you ever :facepalm: me punk! lol

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
right, my mistake, typo... the euro E36 was about 280 hp and the US had about 240. the point is that a newer E46 330 has about 225, so with headers hes in the same boat power-wise and would have a newer car. and dont you ever :facepalm: me punk! lol
Um, more like CAI+Tune+Headers+Underdrive Pullies+maybe an exhaust. and then youll still have to do a diff swap because the 2.93 in the 330 sucks for anything but autobahn blasts in 1st gear. THEN you might get a similar experiance, but the 330 will never be an ///M car or as light as one, and youll probably have to do coil overs to get it to drive close to an M3.

Thats also assuming OP wants to blow that much money. Sounds like he might do a straight up trade (or close to one) for a E36 M3 to a 328, they aren't that far off in price, depending. A 330 will run more expensive though, and youll be looking at $1700 in power stuff alone, add another grand or two for suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
a 323i is the only car that will come anywhere near the performance of your M. i thought about trading in my 330, but when i test drove the 323 i just couldn't handle the power. it's not for everyone.
:spit:

Sent from my PC36100 using BimmerApp

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Um, more like CAI+Tune+Headers+Underdrive Pullies+maybe an exhaust. and then youll still have to do a diff swap because the 2.93 in the 330 sucks for anything but autobahn blasts in 1st gear. THEN you might get a similar experiance, but the 330 will never be an ///M car or as light as one, and youll probably have to do coil overs to get it to drive close to an M3.

Thats also assuming OP wants to blow that much money. Sounds like he might do a straight up trade (or close to one) for a E36 M3 to a 328, they aren't that far off in price, depending. A 330 will run more expensive though, and youll be looking at $1700 in power stuff alone, add another grand or two for suspension upgrades.
I think you're exaggerating a bit. I bet you I would easily beat his 99 M, and I have an auto, 2001 330Ci with headers and a K&N CAI.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts