BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My throttle body boot was cracked, crankcase valve leaking, lower radiator hose leaking.

oh yeah that is labor only. Euro-FTW! oh and I got this done at BMW Monrovia (ca)

Does this sound reasonable/ correct?

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
what shop did you take your car to? yes, you are getting ripped off.

CCV replacement should take 3 hours (DIY) and the TB boot should not be an extra charge because removing the rubber boot is part of the job anyway. the lower radiator hose job is like 1 hrs (DIY) and that includes draining, refilling, and bleeding the system.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Very extremely unwise decision. You're class of 07, you should know 'some' things by now. Dont let this happen ever again

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
OP,

By our standards, it is not reasonable, but I think that labor is probably correct for a dealer. It does sound like a 6 hour charge at dealers rate...maybe 7.

CCV is probably 'booked' at 4 hours (though Flash might be right and it's 3), the TB, by itself is probably another 1 (even though she's also correct that that was already almost finished anyway to do CCV), and the leaking hose, had to be booked for another hour. It takes me 20 mins. just to add coolant!

I don't think the dealer cheated you, but you did cheat yourself out of a hunk of change. So, you should just feel lame, not violated! :lmao:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Ehhh the CCV is a huge PITA, one of the worst jobs on the E46 this side of a motor or transmission swap. You are getting over charged but not as much as you think, the labor for the CCV frequently costs people $400-600.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

Combined that is not even a 5 hour DIY!

1-The intake boot replacement takes literally 20 minutes tops. It was so easy for me to do on a cold spring morning that writing a DIY for it would have taken longer than the actual DIY.

2-One lower radiator hose I would'nt even waste time with because you could replace all the hoses, expansion tank and water pump in about 1 hour. There is an online DIY for this. Once you drain the coolant the only work involved is no more difficult that disconnecting and reconnecting lego blocks.

3-The CCV is about a 3 hour+ DIY on a cold dark night or less time on a bright warm saturday afternoon. BavAuto has a 30 minute DIY showing an old dude doing it with a Tite-Reach wrench in about as much time. There are a few DIY where this was done by teens in their parents driveway.

To be very generous I will add 2 extra bonus hours to the shop so that is about 6 hours labour time. Even at $125 x 6 hours it would $750 for the labour at the BMW Dealership.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Ehhh the CCV is a huge PITA, one of the worst jobs on the E46 this side of a motor or transmission swap. You are getting over charged but not as much as you think, the labor for the CCV frequently costs people $400-600.
The CCV is not that hard. It is up there but it is not the same as a motor or tranny swap!

SolidJake did the CCV on the side of the road in the middle of a NY winter on a dark cold snowy night in about 3 hours on his first time ever doing it.

A couple of trained BMW mechanics in a warm well lit shop with lots of tools should be able to get it done in 1 hour. 2 hour tops.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
My throttle body boot was cracked, crankcase valve leaking, lower radiator hose leaking.

oh yeah that is labor only. Euro-FTW! oh and I got this done at BMW Monrovia (ca)

Does this sound reasonable/ correct?
So you paid first and now ask if was a good price or not ?:facepalm:

Next time , when you become a bit smarter maybe after you finish highschool , you will hopefully learn to ask before you do something.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts