BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to fit a 94 E36 325 limited slip differential on my 2001 e46 330ci ? and whats the ratio of that LSD?

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
I've read one claim of VAC Motorsports in Philly being able to modify a E46 subframe to take an E36 differential. Have I seen it no, but I remember reading it somewhere on here or maybe it was bimmer forums. I am currently looking into getting a LSD for my 328ci but the pricing so far is about 40 percent of what I bought the car for. I'm almost tempted to trade down to an E36 328, get the M3 lsd diff, and blow it out for near the amount I'd be able to sell my car...

decisions decisions...

·
Registered
939 Posts
From my understanding the E36 mounts differently. But that not to say that it can't be modified to fit. I'm sure it can but you'll need a lift and someone who knows how to custom work the subframe and diff mounting points to make it work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a question,are only the cars sold in usa dont have lsd and the ones in germany do have it ?

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
From my understanding the E36 mounts differently. But that not to say that it can't be modified to fit. I'm sure it can but you'll need a lift and someone who knows how to custom work the subframe and diff mounting points to make it work.
ya the main difference is two diff mount points/bushings and one front on the E36 subframe while the E46 is just the opposite.

I'm not sure how VAC did their work, if they've even done it at all modifying the E46 subframe to take the E36 diff, but if they have, and it's relatively inexpensive, that would be one sweet mod. Only problem I can gather is the longevity of a modified subframe. You'd have to imagine that it would be more probable to failure then oem no matter how much they welded.

I really don't know though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts