E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'03 325i with 93k miles

Going in for a regular oil change and i've asked them to check on the fluids, coolants and belts - winter snow around the corner...

Is now the time to do the Inspection I again? Cooling system overhaul?

I've had some recent issues...power steering cut out...had to replace everything...around $1,600 and then a few weeks later my service engine soon light came on...but then turned off in a few days. seems to be driving fine now.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
oleo

·
Registered
45 Posts
Best thing to do at that mileage with winter coming would be a cooling system overhaul (mostly the thermostat and expansion tank), and the CCV. Also, I don't know much about this, but $1600 sounds outrageous for a power steering job.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you live in NoVA, you know that it can get very far below freezing occasionally, which is a nightmare for our expansion tanks. Do a cooling system overhaul if it's been more than 60,000 miles since the last time. Swap out all your fluids every 30,000 miles and you'll be good. And for god's sake, don't pay a mechanic to do this work for you!!!! This car is so, SO easy to work on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts