E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Oh yea?!? Well, screw all of you!!!!!! Just kidding, I got the 8500 for over 50% the regular price from lieberman...so it doesn't matter to me.

Go for the 8500, lieberman still has a few for sale for only 125...retail is 300.

·
Registered
19 Posts
V1 is simply the best detector money can buy. The only reason to not purchase V1 (and the same reason some comparisons have rated 8500 first) is that there are people who cannot come to grips (understandably) with the price point of a V1.

The only two comparisons tests in recent memory (maybe I have not read them all) that did not rank V1 #1 outright were Automobile and Motor Trend.

The Automobile article (2/01) was written by Craig Peterson, whose pocketbook has outweighed his impartiality. I recall that after the first time Peterson published an article about V1, Mike Valentine himself (don't know the man personally) published an angry rebuttal about how Peterson had repeatedly approached Valentine for a "consulting" contract for Peterson's radar expertise. Valentine would not pay Peterson for such expertise, and Peterson has since always published poor reviews - a wierd contrast to the consensus of all the other testing parties, particularly in the early days of V1.

The 2001 Motor Trend article was based on results from Speed Measurement Labs. What was wierd about that is if you click thru to SML's website, I think they clearly identify the V1 as the champion of their tests.

If you can afford it, get the V1. You will not regret it.

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
i have posted on this topic many times before.

my $0.02: if you live in a speed trap prone area (ex: SoCal) then you might want to invest the extra $100 for the directional arrows, etc. if you do not live in one of these areas, then the 8500 would be your best bet, as most threats will only be coming from one or two places, mostly ahead of you.

their detection capabilites are nearly identical, it would be worthless arguing over which one detects which bands at a longer distance.

again, just my $0.02

BTW i have the 8500, as i live in eastern PA, not too many crazy, multi-radar and laser sources to worry about :thumbup:

-brendan

·
Registered
474 Posts
V1, hands down!! Do a search for threads almost identicle to this one...there are some good explanations of why the arrows and "bogey counter" is good to have!!

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
PortlandDinan3 said:
V1, hands down!! Do a search for threads almost identicle to this one...there are some good explanations of why the arrows and "bogey counter" is good to have!!
8500 has "expert mode" which tracks 8 different sources at the same time, and shows their intensity. V1 does not show the intensity of 8 sources at the same time does it?? "bogey counter" is over rated IMO, it can tell you "WARNING there are 8 automatic opening doors in the area!!" and not warn you about more harmful threats

-brendan

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
well, i bought a v1 and had it for about 3-4 months. Out of the time i had it, it went off about once, and that was for a sign that told you how fast you were going....

·
Registered
550 Posts
8500 has "expert mode" which tracks 8 different sources at the same time, and shows their intensity. V1 does not show the intensity of 8 sources at the same time does it?? "bogey counter" is over rated IMO, it can tell you "WARNING there are 8 automatic opening doors in the area!!" and not warn you about more harmful threats
I'm glad you have the 8500. For $125 I would buy it to, but if I'm spending a couple hundred bucks, what's another $100 to get the best?

My friend has an 8500 in his Altima and he constantly asks me to switch for the V1.

You could buy the 8500 . . .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts