BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody notice the very nice black on black E31 at the beginning of the recent remake of The Italian Job..? (...as I formulate my plan to start convincing my wife that getting an E31 should be our next move...)

Looked like... (stole this from somewhere...)

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,390 Posts
Those are great cars...I just can't get over at how slow and big those cars are...i mean yes they would blow the **** outta me...but for a v12...cmon...should go faster than that...they are also incredibly heavy...like up there with a 7...just not as much of a performance oriented car as I'd like...but cool car none the less...

·
Registered Abuser
1,023 Posts
I love the 8ers. If you have a choice, definitely go for the 850. It packs plenty of power to move the oversized beast.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The 850CSi is the only way to go :) However, unless you turn the wrench yourself you'll need a trust fund to keep the thing on the road. They are easily the most expensive BMW to maintain.

I've toyed with the idea of buying one, but it wouldn't be a smart choice.

Adam

·
Sienna Red Coupe
6,538 Posts
Smoltz said:
The 850CSi is the only way to go :) However, unless you turn the wrench yourself you'll need a trust fund to keep the thing on the road. They are easily the most expensive BMW to maintain.

I've toyed with the idea of buying one, but it wouldn't be a smart choice.

Adam
unfortunatly he's right. The 850CSi is my favorite car of all time. 372hp, i love it. The 840's were cursed with the M60 nikasil blocks. Been there, done that. Steer clear of nik. M60's.

·
Registered
337 Posts
i agree the 840 has quite a few problems, ( i know cuz my mom has one) and it is slow as hell at low speeds for how much power it has, but if you are on the freeway they fly. because they have something like a 2.80 rear diff or something. but thay are awesome looking cars word to the wise though if you are going to buy one make shure the computer screen in the console is working properly cuz they are a very common problem and cost about 1200 for a new one

·
P.I.M.P.
2,459 Posts
There is the incredibly rare 850CSL, which is tuned by the M division. Its fooking fast(Mbadge on the engine).... My dinan dealer said that someone has a twin turbo 850CSI in Washington:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
BMWERKEN said:
Those are great cars...I just can't get over at how slow and big those cars are...i mean yes they would blow the **** outta me...but for a v12...cmon...should go faster than that...they are also incredibly heavy...like up there with a 7...just not as much of a performance oriented car as I'd like...but cool car none the less...
What do you mean like a 7? It IS a 7.

And, uh, what faster cars were there in production at the time? It's a pretty short list.

Of course the THREE ECU engine management system is kind of frightening. :p

·
Core Fanatic
1,151 Posts
BMWERKEN said:
They are cool grad touring cars, and you are right, they are not as performance oriented as us 3 series guys like, but have you driven one? My pops has had a 750iL for years (heavier than the 850 CSI, and it is a monster in acceleration. 389 HP/ 390 lb-ft torque and it will out accelerate everything I have driven/owned except fot a 911 turbo from 60 mph to 155. His **** is crazy fast.

And yep, my pops pays out $1500 for a normal service visit! He is a straight mofia pimp, and I come buy the car bug honestly.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I saw it too....that guy from Transporter was driving it....man that thing is pimp! (btw, the 750 from Transporter is raw as hell too!)

·
No more E46 :(
2,640 Posts
Az330im said:
I saw it too....that guy from Transporter was driving it....man that thing is pimp! (btw, the 750 from Transporter is raw as hell too!)
750? I thought it was a 730 in the movie? Wasn't it a manual tranny?

·
Registered
503 Posts
im pretty sure it was a 5, not a 7 boys

·
Registered
723 Posts
^^^in transporter? are u kidding me? last time I checked older 5-series didn't look like what I saw in that movie...and BlackChrome...yeah maybe it was, I donno much about the older 7-Series....but damn that thing was nice as hell...and they showed it well!

·
Protect Me From What I Want
1,220 Posts
BMW did have hopes for the 8. I remember when the 850CSi came out the market was amazed. The Germans were saying with this thing why would anyone want a Porsche.

For those of you who never heard of this, BMW did build an M8. The car you see below, was 1990 BMW M8 prototype #1 -- one and only. The project was then cancelled for many reasons and this prototype was destroyed.

The engine BMW used, the S70, easily made 550hp out of 6.0l and 12 cylinders. This engine, was then given to McLaren and used in the legendary McLaren F1. The Mclaren guys said they were able to get 1000hp at 9500-10000rmp from that engine. It's one of the best engines BMW has ever built.

The 850CSi, with a total production number of 1510 during Aug 92 - Oct 96, was actually a detuned version of the M8. Engine number of a 850CSi starts with an "S", which indicates M-origin. The VIN starts with WBS (BMW Motorsport) instead of WBA (BMW AG). THe 850CSi was indeed an M without the badget.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts