E46 Fanatics Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
8,144 Posts
Benefit of doubt is now gone....Kburger is now officially a Troll..

RealOEM...VIN jn61934 ....Browse parts...Pedals...Accelerator pedal... diagram...#14...Part# 35 41 1 164 739

Per RealOem, it exists on your car.

I think I am done with this thread...and Kburger...which is too bad...M52TU throttle body (MDK) issues are something I care about as I have them in my '99 528i...
We can certainly take this thread over and focus on your car's issues then! You have the same car as my friend's 2000 528i e39. Have you inspected this grommet on your car yet?

·
Super Moderator
1,929 Posts
We can certainly take this thread over and focus on your car's issues then! You have the same car as my friend's 2000 528i e39. Have you inspected this grommet on your car yet?
Not yet...car is in storage...will look this week...I am familiar with the related metal bracket, though, and I don't remember the rubber grommet.

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
8,144 Posts
I am intrigued by the metal bracket, possibly grommet. Take a pic once you have the opportunity and post it up.

·
Super Moderator
1,929 Posts
Comparing KB's photo with the photo in post #35, there does appear to be a rubber grommet missing on the metal adjuster bracket on KB's car. It looks to me that the threaded adjuster in which the throttle cable screws into would be elevated a bit if the rubber grommet is replaced. In other words, it looks to me like KB's adjuster is sitting lower than it should.

In theory, you could account for the lack of a grommet by adjusting the slack in the throttle cable, and it looks like KB's adjuster is quite a bit tighter than pic #35

But since this whole throttle body system is hyper-sensitive to changes in millivolts and the adjustment of that cable, and since the rubber grommet is only $5 at FCP Euro, it's probably worth a try.

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
8,144 Posts
KB send me a $20 spot when you're done so I can give it to my boy for proper diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Comparing KB's photo with the photo in post #35, there does appear to be a rubber grommet missing on the metal adjuster bracket on KB's car. It looks to me that the threaded adjuster in which the throttle cable screws into would be elevated a bit if the rubber grommet is replaced. In other words, it looks to me like KB's adjuster is sitting lower than it should.

In theory, you could account for the lack of a grommet by adjusting the slack in the throttle cable, and it looks like KB's adjuster is quite a bit tighter than pic #35

But since this whole throttle body system is hyper-sensitive to changes in millivolts and the adjustment of that cable, and since the rubber grommet is only $5 at FCP Euro, it's probably worth a try.
Thanks for the help. Can anyone else with a 2000 m52tu motor tell me if the car should have this grommet? I set up the throttle cable using the Bentley manual or specifically says there needs to be 2-3 millimeters of play where the grommet would be so I can't see how it would help and I don't think my car uses this grommet
Kburger

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
8,144 Posts
Love to see updates from your car whenever you post! I have a buddy with a 2000 528i M52TU that has 450,000 miles on the ODO, and perhaps he has run into similar issue, but from what I recall, all of his problems with the throttle body had to do with one tiny little grommet that fails over time and when it fails there are all sorts of issues with the throttle. This is not something that tossed a code I don't think. But I will check.

Sounds like what you did with the dielectric grease and tape wrapping may have done the trick?
I checked with him, and he said 1000000% this is your problem. He got tons of codes, similar to yours, and it was not the pin connector, it was this specific grommet that turned into rubber goo over time and could not support the cable itself.

#14 here
you can see this grommet directly to the right of the ICV

claims this led to limp mode several times, as if there is even the slightest play with that cable, the car will toss all sorts of codes. Please check and report back asap. Many times this is overlooked as you are hyper focused on electrical items due to the codes, and would never think this rubber piece tied to the mechanical cable would be the culprit.

I remember him screaming for joy when he found this as he was certain his ECU might be fried or having issues. He was overjoyed to fix his car for a few bucks.
^^ But dat grommet fix doe. Could be it. Simple to check insanely cheap to fix. Esp if its original and was exposed to engine bay heat for 730,000 miles!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Thanks tons! I'll get it ordered! You got a part number?
thank you I'll get it ordered. Do you have a part number ? Don't understand why realoem doesn't show it for my car.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
One of the biggest problems in our country is zero respect for our elders. I understand now what I am doing wrong I am missing posts not reading all of them. I won't make that mistake again.
kburger

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I feel embarrassed and I am sorry. Been here many years when I post a these next time I'll do it right I see now why people are pissed at me.
kburger

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
8,144 Posts
Light dawns on Marble Head! Hey - at least you have the sack to come in and admit what you did wrong and realize why we were so frustrated. Now go replace this $1 part and rejoice in the amazement that you are about to get rained on.

P.S. first time I've ever been called an "elder" but I kinda like it... like the BMW stickers that say "Respect your Elders"

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I feel embarrassed and I am sorry. Been here many years when I post a these next time I'll do it right I see now why people are pissed at me.
kburger
Trizzuth the elder I am referring to is me. Thanks hope all in this thread can forgive me I see now how I looked lazy and stupid.
kburger

·
Registered
243 Posts
It’s 5G. Got us all bent out of shape.

Trizzuth definitely saved you based on his friends experience with the m52tu. This is great to read an absolute success story.

I also get tense when people seem to ignore my advice. I’ll take someone fishing, then I’ll show them what I’m doing to catch fish. So they’ll do the exact opposite as of them trying something different will produce a better result.
It’s like a universal human fault to want to do things our own way rather than doing things the way that works.

Pretty impressive that a 5 dollar BMW dealer available part is the solution in this case. Thank god for trizzuth and his homie with the 528!

·
Super Moderator
1,929 Posts
It's not clear that the rubber grommet is the fix to KB's issue. The deteriorating-voltage-due-to-corrosion problem of the 10-pin throttle body connector in the M52TU is real...and I think it is contributing to KB's and my own issues.

However, the rubber grommet on the adjuster should be replaced if it's missing or deteriorated..

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
It’s 5G. Got us all bent out of shape.

Trizzuth definitely saved you based on his friends experience with the m52tu. This is great to read an absolute success story.

I also get tense when people seem to ignore my advice. I’ll take someone fishing, then I’ll show them what I’m doing to catch fish. So they’ll do the exact opposite as of them trying something different will produce a better result.
It’s like a universal human fault to want to do things our own way rather than doing things the way that works.

Pretty impressive that a 5 dollar BMW dealer available part is the solution in this case. Thank god for trizzuth and his homie with the 528!
It's not clear that the rubber grommet is the fix to KB's issue. The deteriorating-voltage-due-to-corrosion problem of the 10-pin throttle body connector in the M52TU is real...and I think it is contributing to KB's and my own issues.

However, the rubber grommet on the adjuster should be replaced if it's missing or deteriorated..
grommet is ordered will replace when it comes in. Bentley says the cable needs to have slack there at the grommet. Car has been running great since using DeOxit gold and brake cleaner to clean and treat each pin. I have driven it at least 300,000 miles without the grommet. But once installed I'm pretty sure it will make the proper throttle cable adjstment according to bentley work better. Again I will be careful to pay attention to and respond to all posts, even if I do not follow the advice at least acknowledge it. 4 pages of posts in this thread good read for people with TB/ICV issues except for me lookin stupid. I have alot of posts hopefully they make up for this thread.
Kburger

·
Super Moderator
1,929 Posts
Just an FYI..I checked my ‘99 528i with M52TU engine..the rubber grommet is still there on my car..

I don’t think it is the source of my TB issues

61 - 80 of 101 Posts