BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For sale is my 6th generation Bluetooth ULF and pairing button.

In a 2002+ e46, this is plug and play to get full Bluetooth if you have the premium package (BMW Assist).

If you don't have BMW assist, you need about another $100 in misc parts (Bluetooth antenna, possible a microphone or mounting bracket for cars with Nav).

This 6th generation ULF (part # 84216955522) has been rock-solid for me through 3 BMW's. It works with all phones I've ever paired it with, including the latest iPhones. The ULF has Voice Recognition enabled already, which you can use for either phone calls ("Dial number") or for Navigation ("Find gas station"). The ULF is also compatible with the phone cradle if you want to install one of those.

At the time, I paid $650 to have the ULF imported from Germany. They routinely sell for $450+ now on eBay (depending on generation). With the new TCU solution out, for $340 + $200 core from Tischer (no VR), selling this for $325 seems fair and reasonable. Offering it at a discounted price to the fanatics community--no low ball offers. If no one here wants it, I'll just throw it on eBay for more...

Here are some pics. If anyone needs installation help, I've installed dozens of these so would be happy to offer any assistance.

ULF and pairing button (installed in coin tray):

ULF part #:

Close up of custom pairing button (the OEM one is discontinued--you need a custom one--this one works perfectly):

Harness connection:

Connection to Bluetooth antenna:

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Tempting... You've used both TCUs and ULFs right? Is the voice quality better on either? The VQ on my current TCU (one of the early ones) simply sucks... but the 1st gen ULF in my old car wasn't really much better. I don't know how the new ones fare... Trying to decide between this or buying a brand new TCU and returning my current non voice capable unit as a core

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
good price

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tempting... You've used both TCUs and ULFs right? Is the voice quality better on either? The VQ on my current TCU (one of the early ones) simply sucks... but the 1st gen ULF in my old car wasn't really much better. I don't know how the new ones fare... Trying to decide between this or buying a brand new TCU and returning my current non voice capable unit as a core
My wife has the current generation TCU in her X3--and it works pretty well. I've used 1st 6th and 13th generation ULFs and agree that the 1st generation one was terrible. Basically no audible difference between 6th and 13th gen from my experience with the ULFs.

BTW, pending sale on this... thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
Tempting as well - I have an '05 330CiC with Nav and Assist and the TCU I have doesn't pair with anything! Mine though has 3 antenna type connectors with two cables plugged in - one to the bluetooth antenna under the rear of my center console, and the other I traced to a dead-end connector under my cupholder, maybe for the pairing button connection??? Why did you have to make a custom pairing button and who/how was it done??

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tempting as well - I have an '05 330CiC with Nav and Assist and the TCU I have doesn't pair with anything! Mine though has 3 antenna type connectors with two cables plugged in - one to the bluetooth antenna under the rear of my center console, and the other I traced to a dead-end connector under my cupholder, maybe for the pairing button connection??? Why did you have to make a custom pairing button and who/how was it done??

So... For you car I'd recommend swapping the TCU for the new one. Direct swap and you don't lose Assist.

The ULF uses a pairing button that goes under the cupholder. You can either use the pairing button or the phone cradle... The pairing button is EOL by BMW, so there are companies that make custom ones now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts