BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I need a bracket of some sort to make this work, but are fitment issues common in Sedans? Is my selection limited because its a sedan? thanks for any input!

·
Registered
630 Posts
6.5's are harder to do in the sedan, but not impossible. The main issue is that in the sedan, there are 3 mounting pegs that hold the door panel on the door surroung the speaker. They are arranged in such a way that only the factory 6.25 inch speaker can fit. For this reason, I went with a 6.25 inch CDT Classic Component Set. But if you want to do 6.5's, you can just use a dremel and grind out some of the plastic that holds up those pegs. If you do it carefully you can get room for a 6.5 without damaging the actual pegs. As for a bracket, I actually used a 6.5 inch MDF ring adapter set meant for the rear speakers, as it covered all the screw holes, and then dremeled it down to fit my speaker and the front mounts. Note, aslo, that many 6.5 inch speakers may be too deep to fit in the factory spot and for this reason I had to use a 4 inch hole saw to cut a spot for the magnet to recess a bit.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6.5's are harder to do in the sedan, but not impossible. The main issue is that in the sedan, there are 3 mounting pegs that hold the door panel on the door surroung the speaker. They are arranged in such a way that only the factory 6.25 inch speaker can fit. For this reason, I went with a 6.25 inch CDT Classic Component Set. But if you want to do 6.5's, you can just use a dremel and grind out some of the plastic that holds up those pegs. If you do it carefully you can get room for a 6.5 without damaging the actual pegs. As for a bracket, I actually used a 6.5 inch MDF ring adapter set meant for the rear speakers, as it covered all the screw holes, and then dremeled it down to fit my speaker and the front mounts. Note, aslo, that many 6.5 inch speakers may be too deep to fit in the factory spot and for this reason I had to use a 4 inch hole saw to cut a spot for the magnet to recess a bit.
Wow I would have never thought it was so complicated, does any one else have 6.5" in their doors if so which models, and how did you pull it off?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Make it easy on yourself...just find a good set of 6.25"

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make it easy on yourself...just find a good set of 6.25"
I guess I could do that, but don't the 6.5"s have superior sound quality, its all any one ever talks about. I don't want to over complicate things, but I already have to do a double din install, relocating climate control to fit an in dash gps. So this cannot be much more complicated then that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
won't really fit

i have 6.5" infiniti kappa's... besides the whole bracket crap... my door panel does not sit flush because the kappa's (with the "euro" bracket) are a 1/4" too thick... hence the speakers are against the metal of the door...

soooo its doable.. but a lot of work... and it might not sit flush..

however.. you would never be able to tell unless you literally lied down on the floor and look up at the bottom of my door.

oh e46 sedan 2000 323 ... not like the other sedans would be much different

·
Registered
283 Posts
Will the CDT Classics sound OK with the OE amp or do they need more power?

I'm looking for replacements for my blown POS stock stuff.

Did you replace the 2.5" midranges?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Will the CDT Classics sound OK with the OE amp or do they need more power?

I'm looking for replacements for my blown POS stock stuff.

Did you replace the 2.5" midranges?
Well for one you can't really get a full range signal to use the CDT crossover so using the factory amp is out. And besides that your gonna wanna run at least 100 watts RMS to the CDT Classic 6.25 inch set. I ran 110 watts to them and they sounded great. As for the 2.5 inch factory mid, I did not use those. I simply disconnected the factory amp, installed my CDT crossovers in the trunk and wired them up to send signals to the factory woofer/tweeter locations. Then I installed my CDT classics on those spots, and I left the mid in the door just to keep the look stock, but it doesn't do anything anymore. It ended up being a really good sounding setup.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i have had my cdt classic comps sitting in a box for probably 3 years now. I haven't put them in my car now because I don't want to drill a hole in the door. But I don't want to buy new speakers because I have some and they sounded awesome back when I actually used them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
13.5 cm JBL speakers

I am in the middle of my Pioneer double din project...

I am thinking to mount JBL speakers (13.50cm) for the front doors, also will use the out frame of the JBL to mount it on the door panel instead of the simple original one...

may be photos soon....:hi:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still really confused on which speaker options I have. I don't want to heavily modify the door to make any thing fit, but I don't want to sacrafice sound quality. any one personally install upgraded speakers in there sedan that can comment?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm still really confused on which speaker options I have. I don't want to heavily modify the door to make any thing fit, but I don't want to sacrafice sound quality. any one personally install upgraded speakers in there sedan that can comment?
It was a bit of work to get my 6.25's in, but I don't think I would say I "heavily" modified the doors. The only thing I did was drill a 4 inch hole for the magnet to recess. This part literally took all of 3 or 4 minutes to do. All I did was mark the spot to drill and then hit it with the hole saw...drilled a perfect hole on both sides. The door panel itself I did NOT have to modify, I just used MDF brackets from ebay. Now I had to modify the MDF rings themsevles, but only because I wasn't using 6.5's and I would have rather modded the ring than the door panel.

BUT getting back to the choices, there are a lot of 6 inch component sets that will work, and I think most have the required depth to fit without any realy modding. You are not going to really lose any sound quality going from 6.5 to 6, maybe a slight reduction in the lowest freq the speakers could play, but you should be highpassing anyway and using a sub for the really low stuff. Check out this list of 6 inch component sets at onlinecarstereo, for starters:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarA...ShowAll=False&AttrID=1&AttrValue=6&RowIndex=7

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was a bit of work to get my 6.25's in, but I don't think I would say I "heavily" modified the doors. The only thing I did was drill a 4 inch hole for the magnet to recess. This part literally took all of 3 or 4 minutes to do. All I did was mark the spot to drill and then hit it with the hole saw...drilled a perfect hole on both sides. The door panel itself I did NOT have to modify, I just used MDF brackets from ebay. Now I had to modify the MDF rings themsevles, but only because I wasn't using 6.5's and I would have rather modded the ring than the door panel.

BUT getting back to the choices, there are a lot of 6 inch component sets that will work, and I think most have the required depth to fit without any realy modding. You are not going to really lose any sound quality going from 6.5 to 6, maybe a slight reduction in the lowest freq the speakers could play, but you should be highpassing anyway and using a sub for the really low stuff. Check out this list of 6 inch component sets at onlinecarstereo, for starters:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarA...ShowAll=False&AttrID=1&AttrValue=6&RowIndex=7
Hey thanks a lot for the response that clears a lot up, so I will probably just go with 6". I got several quotes for Nav and speaker installs, and every place I talk to acts like its SO difficult to do car audio on these cars. They quoted me $1000 for a F900 install with double din (with out speakers/amp/sub,ect...) They said it would take all day. So any way I'm going to just do what I can on my won since I don't have the $ for that.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hey thanks a lot for the response that clears a lot up, so I will probably just go with 6". I got several quotes for Nav and speaker installs, and every place I talk to acts like its SO difficult to do car audio on these cars. They quoted me $1000 for a F900 install with double din (with out speakers/amp/sub,ect...) They said it would take all day. So any way I'm going to just do what I can on my won since I don't have the $ for that.
Yeah, unfornately most car audio shop employees are not that smart...if anything is "non-standard", i.e. isn't a chevy/ford with drop in locations and the like, they just break down and cry about how its too hard to do and so they will have to charge you more. That having been said, doing Double DIN units IS a pain the ass in the BMW. But if I were you I'd think of going with the Alpine Vehiclehub Pro setup, with the screen in the front and the brain in the trunk. That setup is VERY easy to do, no modding to put it in. You could do that yourself very easily.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, unfornately most car audio shop employees are not that smart...if anything is "non-standard", i.e. isn't a chevy/ford with drop in locations and the like, they just break down and cry about how its too hard to do and so they will have to charge you more. That having been said, doing Double DIN units IS a pain the ass in the BMW. But if I were you I'd think of going with the Alpine Vehiclehub Pro setup, with the screen in the front and the brain in the trunk. That setup is VERY easy to do, no modding to put it in. You could do that yourself very easily.
Thanks for reply. yeah I have my mind set on getting this sucker in there! I figure If I hit a wall at some point I can probably post up pics with a description and get help on the forums, It may take me a few days to get every thing working but I think I should be able to get it.

·
Registered
222 Posts

What 6" set would sound the best? The Octane-ZR set is cheaper and handles more watts RMS, but does not go as low as the RSd6cs (65hz vs 50hz). Which is okay for me, since the crossover will be set around 100, because the sub will handle everything lower than that. Basically looking for a budget set that will sound good. I have already installed the SVEN 4 and the sub is powered by an Orion 1200D amp, so I just need a small 2 channel amp to power a new set of 6" component speakers up front.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Does anybody know the depth if I install the speaker on the door panel? I have 6.5" CDT's but they are 2.94" in depth. I was barely able to install it in the rears, but not sure if it will fit on the front door.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Does anybody know the depth if I install the speaker on the door panel? I have 6.5" CDT's but they are 2.94" in depth. I was barely able to install it in the rears, but not sure if it will fit on the front door.
I had 6.25 inch CDT's with a claimed depth of 2.5 inchs, but mine were unable to fit when I added the MDF ring, so I ended up cutting a hole for the magnet to recess just a bit and then it fit. But 2.94 is definitely gonna need a hole cut, hopefully that won't go too far and hit the window.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I had 6.25 inch CDT's with a claimed depth of 2.5 inchs, but mine were unable to fit when I added the MDF ring, so I ended up cutting a hole for the magnet to recess just a bit and then it fit. But 2.94 is definitely gonna need a hole cut, hopefully that won't go too far and hit the window.
Thanks for the info. Guess I have to sell them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts