BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
well, wat are your needs? If you just want to take great pics, 5d, if you want video, need live view, shoot sports 7d. 5d is great if you are into portraiture, landscape, and non moving subjects. It has amazing IQ, but is a little dated. But be assured you get great pics from the 5d. For more modern tech, and the ability to shoot sports, 7d.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my dilemma is this..... I do not have a urgent need for FF.... i am going to school for graphic design and will take photography courses along the line as its a service i would like to offer.... at the moment i consider myself a very good photographer, but still have a long ways to be called a professional photographer in my eyes... everyone else thinks i should do it now.... mainly i shoot things that are stationary, with the exception of a drift event here and there or a brothers basketball game. So to me overall quality would have to be better, i know its not about the mp on the cameras, but the 5dc is a 12 vs the 18 on a 7d... im sure that makes it a difference that you can tell... or am i wrong ?? what do you guys think and if you could list a few differences or benefits, it would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks

PS: my sig has a link to my flickr in case you would want to see what i like to shoot

·
Registered
183 Posts
You could probably pick up a 5d and a 40d (for the price of a used 7d) and have the best of both worlds. That's what I did. The 40d is no slouch and for $450ish used it's a great backup and has a fast fps.

Edit- But I don't ever shoot video.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
7D especially if cheaper.

Honestly, I would do a 60D and spend the difference upgrading glass.

JMO.

·
Registered
313 Posts
5D, it's what i use, and it just does a better job.

I will say the live view comes in very handy for long exposure work/star work, since it allows you to really set your manual focus.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
FF > Video

good point. I rarely shoot video on my D90. I think the last time I shot video at a concert, I realized I could have just grabbed the videos shot by other people. lol

@ lafabritto325ci if you are considering the graphic design route, I would get the 7D so that you could shoot video. Its has its perks. Shooting video and incorporating that into a website. Your client might want to shoot a video or interviews to use with site. But if you have access to a video camera, then go with the 5D.

·
Registered
123 Posts
5d has better IQ and the images just look better when used with primes or L glass. However, I will say that since I upgraded to the 5d2 I have no clue how I lived without live view and a decent LCD scree.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I love Live View. :thumbsup: A lot of times I'm shooting at the concert stage and its really high. I'm only 5'7" so it's frustrating when I can't shoot from the other said of the stage. Live View is perfect for shooting over head.

The stage is right at my head. So I shot this over the monitors

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
The going rate for a 5Dmk1 seems to be about $1k without any additional accessories/lenses. The going rate for a 50mm f/1.8 is about $100. I would offer $1050 or so for both... To me, $1k would be too much of a low ball but what's $50 at that point right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts