BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just purchased a manual 2001 e46 m3 as a fun car and looking to make around 500bhp, can anyone help me with what i will need looking to go forced induction turbo preferred.

Many Thanks :)

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
1. Catch up with ALL maintenance FIRST. What did your PPI show? Get a Blackstone sample and send it in for analysis.
2. Reinforce the SMP's front and rear before adding power
3. Bulletproof the VANOS
4. Then add power.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Folks are getting around 380-400 WHEEL hp with NA setups - 280/272 or 288/280 cams, csl style airbox, headers/full 2.5" exhaust. Some go a step further with upgraded injectors/fuel pump and add e85.

Take care of maintenance first, per Alan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Catch up with ALL maintenance FIRST. What did your PPI show? Get a Blackstone sample and send it in for analysis.
2. Reinforce the SMP's front and rear before adding power
3. Bulletproof the VANOS
4. Then add power.
Hi alan thanks for reply, Confused on a few bits. What do you mean by PPI? and SMP's? Also how do you bullet proof vanos, Heard its a problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Folks are getting around 380-400 WHEEL hp with NA setups - 280/272 or 288/280 cams, csl style airbox, headers/full 2.5" exhaust. Some go a step further with upgraded injectors/fuel pump and add e85.

Take care of maintenance first, per Alan.

[/QUOTE
A friend put me onto bimmer world for cams and exhast etc are these trusted?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi guys just purchased a manual 2001 e46 m3 as a fun car and looking to make around 500bhp, can anyone help me with what i will need looking to go forced induction turbo preferred.

Many Thanks :)
Just go to ABT and get a supercharger setup. Much better low end torque. You'll also want a bigger intercooler, bigger/better engine oil cooler, and eventually you'll burn out the clutch with this much hp.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Depends which cams - catcams, schrick, etc and what exhaust- euro, SS, agency power, megan, ebay, etc.

Sounds like you have some homework to do first to make sure vanos is bullet proofed, subframe can handle it and bearings are in order.

Good write up on vanos below. Vanos bullet proofing involves swapping in new seals, cleaning everything, replacing the chain guide, using a redrilled oil pump disc (and replacing exhaust hub if your tabs are broken), locktite on cam bolts if yours are in good shape or replacing them with locktite: http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/s54_vanos_procedure.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts