E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Should there be a 50 state emission legal header?

• yes

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • no

Votes: 5 19.2%
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
If you haven't done one already, are you planning on doing a dyno run before and then another one some time after the install?
That's my plan. Keep in mind though that I'm supercharged so there's no guarantee that any gains that I may or may not see would apply equally to a NA application.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
That's my plan. Keep in mind though that I'm supercharged so there's no guarantee that any gains that I may or may not see would apply equally to a NA application.
Lol, yeah, that'll kind of invalidate any changes for my application.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Dinan never took the e46 platform seriously from the perspective of engine performance. I don't expect you'd ever be able to interest them in a project like this. We can only hope the MagnaFlow actually perform. The stock e39 M5 headers also offered the advantage that the cats don't sit inches from the exhaust ports of the head so Dinan only had to improve on the design of the primaries (and there was plenty of pipe length to work with). On the e46, the cats are right off the head so there's very little room (literally) for improvement.

·
Registered
851 Posts
No emissions or inspection ftw!
in canada only a few provinces (states in ur case) have emission testings.
mine unfortunately is one of those few :censor:
they released results after 10 yrs of running emission services that there were no changes to the smog level but yet they continue to keep it.
we all know this is because it's a good money generator for the gov't.
really pisses me off!
i am however close enough to a city that i could register my vehicle so it does not have to go through emissions.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
this was taken from their facebook i copy pasted what i asked and their response haha you guys should all like my post lol

a couple forum members and i were wondering how many people it would it take for you guys to make a 50 state legal header... for the e46 325/330 or just e46 3 series in general... and to make it worth you're r and d time.... and all
14 minutes ago · UnlikeLike ·

o
Dinan Engineering hmmm, headers are tough because to make good ones takes a lot of engineering hours and they take a lot of man hours to build the final production product. A set of headers runs in the $8K-$9K range. Also many headers remove some or all of the "cats" making in illegal in many/all states. Does this answer your question?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Thanks for asking! But, are you kidding me? That's no answer at all. The real answer is, "NO". He could have just said that. Of course they remove the cats, the point was for him to consider making headers that deal with that. :facepalm:

this was taken from their facebook i copy pasted what i asked and their response haha you guys should all like my post lol

a couple forum members and i were wondering how many people it would it take for you guys to make a 50 state legal header... for the e46 325/330 or just e46 3 series in general... and to make it worth you're r and d time.... and all
14 minutes ago · UnlikeLike ·

o
Dinan Engineering hmmm, headers are tough because to make good ones takes a lot of engineering hours and they take a lot of man hours to build the final production product. A set of headers runs in the $8K-$9K range. Also many headers remove some or all of the "cats" making in illegal in many/all states. Does this answer your question?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
well they could... haha.... its just it would cost a lot of money... to make a good header without removing the cats...

i did say

haha so it would need a lot of people basically to get a set at a decent cost... makes sense why you guys never made it for these cars... but... then again i can't think of anyone who does make one... that would be cool though haha

so basically it would need a relatively large buttload of people or someone with a small shitload of money to get them made....

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yup, which is what we figured before this all started, but it was still good to ask just in case.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts