E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Should there be a 50 state emission legal header?

• yes

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • no

Votes: 5 19.2%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Does anyone here wish that Dinan made a 50 state emissions legal header for the e46 3 series... they did it with the E39 ///M5

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D360-6500-Exhaust-Headers.aspx#page=1

if they can manage to make a 50 street emissions legal header system on that....

you would think it would be easier on a six cylinder...
:eeps: 8K for a header?!?!?! thats almost as much as my car!!! Even if they did it would be insanely over priced compared to what most e46's are selling out there for....

:rofl:

I guess i'm just not the demographic they're targeting

:blah:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha that is for the e39 m5 haha plus.... it costs a lot to go through emissions testing and certification...

agreed its expensive but it would be nice to know there is an option haha 8000 is a lotttt.... maybe this is why they never made them for our cars

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
economics.
someone who spends ( I don't remember how much m5's were new) $70K on a car likely has another $8K for headers and would have to spend that money because there wasn't a SUPER-UBER M5.
someone who spends $30k-$40k on a 3 series will likely NOT spend $5K or $8K on headers. $38k-$48K is a lot of money for a 3series that marginally outperforms a "base" 3 series. Why continue to spend more money on a 325/330 when you have the M3 as option?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
there is one. look for the magnaflow one. they make a header for the e46 that has high flow cats built in. costs about 1600 fo rhte pair i think. search for it on this forum there is a thread. or pm AggieE46

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
there is one. look for the magnaflow one. they make a header for the e46 that has high flow cats built in. costs about 1600 fo rhte pair i think. search for it on this forum there is a thread. or pm AggieE46
They're not 50 state legal, only 49. Sorry CA. Performance gains remain to be seen but I should have dyno results in a month or so. Mine are currently at Swain for thermal coating.

In order to make street legal headers, the cats have to be in the stock location. They also have to use stock type catalysts. The MagnaFlow replacement headers/cats meet both of these conditions. The problem is you still have very short primaries leading directly into restrictive ceramic catalysts. Unless the MagnaFlow primaries are larger diameter or their collectors flow better, I doubt I will notice any real change in performance versus stock. Time will tell.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if there was an option i wouldn't hesitate to get headers... haha i just don't want to be not street legal and stuff... it probably super cost ineffective for them to build them probably because of the price it costs to make and to and get legalized by the carb plus the warranty in the general aftermarket i really cant think of many companies that make street legal headers...would be awesome

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
s.... it costs a lot to go through emissions testing and certification...
This is why CA gets screwed with aftermarket performance parts. Any company that could make 50 state legal headers has 2 things to consider when deciding to make them for a given model: 1) Is that car sold in high enough numbers and are a high enough percentage then modified that enough California owners will likely buy them to absorb the cost of certification? Mustangs, Camaros, and Civics fall into this category. 2) Is the car typically bought by people who won't think twice about paying top dollar for more power? The M5 fits here.

Unfortunately the non-M 3 series simply doesn't fall into either of those categories. I've never looked, does the M3 even have CA legal headers available?

CARB can blow me. If they were just concerned about emissions they'd have the company install the part, just a $20 smog check, and compare results.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'd buy 'em but not at $8K! John

33,347 Posts
why not have your cats welded into the supersprint headers? I dont see how they wouldn't pass visual inspection even if they put your car on a lift.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
why not have your cats welded into the supersprint headers? I dont see how they wouldn't pass visual inspection even if they put your car on a lift.
How would welding cats onto full-length headers not be obviously different from the stock exhaust that has the cats less than a foot from the head? :hmm:

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Because you'd have to hack up a very expensive set of headers replacing most if not all of the length of the primaries as well as the collector with a different collector and primaries. There'd be almost nothing left of the original supersprint headers.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
those really do look stock-like... interesting....
Maybe too stock like. Remains to be seen if they will perform any better than stock. They are intended to be stock replacements so performance wasn't their primary objective. I'm hoping my skepticism will be proven wrong though.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Maybe too stock like. Remains to be seen if they will perform any better than stock. They are intended to be stock replacements so performance wasn't their primary objective. I'm hoping my skepticism will be proven wrong though.
If you haven't done one already, are you planning on doing a dyno run before and then another one some time after the install?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts