BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am almost ready to swap my 5sp tranny to a 6sp so i can use my 3.46 kaaz lsd without sacrificing my gas mileage, heres a general parts list if your car is already a 5 sp and what you need to convert it... you will need:
1. transmission = 1500
2. clutch and flywheel (plus alignment tool) 435 all oem
3. transmission mount, with adapter = 65
4. shifter and shifter carrier = 35 for oem shifter carrier, 450 for evo 3 with dssr
5. guibo = 78 oem bmw (same as the guibo off the 323ci auto/why different bolt pattern than 323ci 5sp idk)
6. driveshaft = 300 + 150 for the parts to repair it (you can buy a different flange/bearing to convert the 4 bolt auto to a 6 bolt manual)
7. i went with the cdv, because i hate the way my car feels when i shift... = 30

heres everything minus the clutch, which i left in my garage... my flywheel is a little rusty-hopefully it will still work fine-if not ill just replace it with a lightweight lol:4ngie:

heres the new tranny mount, and the adapter is still attached to the transmission

heres where the new shifter carrier bolts up to, it is different than the 5 sp because it has 2 mounting points instead of one

heres my cdv, on the left, the oem one is on the right, you can see the ballbearing that makes it suck to shift

my new uuc carrier bushings, anyone know if i can shave these down to fit? they are alot wider than the oem ones

the rear of my driveshaft, the rear bushing was crushed, and had to be replaced, all that holds it in is a snap ring, and thers also a clip that seals the rubber bushing

new vrs old, note the broken bushing-can i use axle/driveshaft lube for this? figured i should ask for a 2nd oppinion here

finished install before it goes in

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hopefully if all goes right it will be in this weekend, with the holiday and all i should start saturday night-still have a 5sp shift knob....

btw thanks to the gas prices and me driving 80+ miles a day, i am thinking of selling my 3.46 lsd after it gets rebuilt, and buy the 3.15 one in the "for sale" forum, if anybodys intersted pm me

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,465 Posts
i've been thinking of doing this for a while now. everytime i start to search for parts i just say i'll wait and buy a new car. so i'm looking forward to how this goes for you and finding out all the parts and changes needed. :thumbsup:

i'm not sure about some of the part swaps so please document any modifications you find you need along the way.

also, pretty sure your 323ci doesn't have a CDV. so i'm unsure about that whole thing you posted. you bought a CDV because you hate the way your car shifts?? then you show new cdv and stock one. i'm totally lost what you're talking about. why buy a new one and have an old one replaced? :hmm:

i'd keep the 3.46 with the 6th gear. going from 3.07 to 3.15 is only a 2.5% change for you.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
i've been thinking of doing this for a while now. everytime i start to search for parts i just say i'll wait and buy a new car. so i'm looking forward to how this goes for you and finding out all the parts and changes needed. :thumbsup:

i'm not sure about some of the part swaps so please document any modifications you find you need along the way.

also, pretty sure your 323ci doesn't have a CDV. so i'm unsure about that whole thing you posted. you bought a CDV because you hate the way your car shifts?? then you show new cdv and stock one. i'm totally lost what you're talking about. why buy a new one and have an old one replaced? :hmm:

i'd keep the 3.46 with the 6th gear. going from 3.07 to 3.15 is only a 2.5% change for you.
+1 on keeping the 3.46, no way i'd go 3.15 with a 6 speed, its got such a long 6th gear, you'd still be in a very comfortable rpm range in 6th at 80.

and again, whys this one been moved to forced induction forum??

·
Registered
32 Posts
so you spent $2000 to change your transmission so you can save a few dollars here and there at the pump? sounds economical.

why don't you be more honest and say, "i just really wanted a 6 speed"

·
Hawaii 3.0
5,378 Posts
Subscribing

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so you spent $2000 to change your transmission so you can save a few dollars here and there at the pump? sounds economical.

why don't you be more honest and say, "i just really wanted a 6 speed"
yes i did just want a 6sp, the simple fact of better gas mileage definately helps along with reduced engine noise, 2 for 2 there

whenever i get the lsd back from the shop, ill end up keeping it and installing that soon-like everyone is saying 3.46 is the way to go, i should still be up in the 27-30mpg range so im happy there

i didnt end up doing the swap this weekend because the autozone that i was at had no royal purple or redline fluid for the tranny... i'm going to order some redline from turner tomorrow and some other goodies lol:4ngie:

btw i thought you couldnt resurface the dual-mass flywheel

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
yes i did just want a 6sp, the simple fact of better gas mileage definately helps along with reduced engine noise, 2 for 2 there

whenever i get the lsd back from the shop, ill end up keeping it and installing that soon-like everyone is saying 3.46 is the way to go, i should still be up in the 27-30mpg range so im happy there

i didnt end up doing the swap this weekend because the autozone that i was at had no royal purple or redline fluid for the tranny... i'm going to order some redline from turner tomorrow and some other goodies lol:4ngie:

btw i thought you couldnt resurface the dual-mass flywheel
do you not have a napa near you? i believe they stock royal purple.

·
Registered
555 Posts
^
test your lsd man.. I have the 3.46 and is not so bad.. and i have the 5sp....

the 3.64 in the other hand is not soo "economical" :lmao:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts