BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever experienced a problem with this. It has been giving me problems for the last month. Sometimes it won't allow me to exit by using the interior door handle and I'll have to roll down my window and open the door from the outside just to get out.

·
frequent tire purchaser
657 Posts
I've never had a problem with it other than it's a pain in the a$$ pulling the handle twice to get out. I had the dealer deactivate it on my 323, but have yet to do the same on the M.

·
alfisti & bimmer fan
2,090 Posts
alfas`s mercs, most of them have the same future, you have to pull the handle twice to open the door. anyway the dealer can adjust it to unluck the door and open it at the same time. Ask them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cuore_alfa said:
alfas`s mercs, most of them have the same future, you have to pull the handle twice to open the door. anyway the dealer can adjust it to unluck the door and open it at the same time. Ask them.
It used to work up until a month ago. Now it's giving me problems.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Seems like mechanical problem. If it's locked then you won't be able to open the door by exterior door handle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anonymous_FTP,

I'm experiencing the same (or very similar) thing. I have a service appt for this very issue tomorrow morning.

Possible differences:

-- I have the automatic door locking at 5mph disabled. It happens to me when I manually lock the doors via the center console lock button. I pull the door handle once and the door appears to unlock, but a second pull on the handle does not open the door. Same as you, I have to roll down the window and open the door from the outside.

-- It has only been an issue intermittently. The last several days, not working. Then today, works.

I'll post my results after tomorrow's service appointment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well,

nothing too exciting to report. Dealer replaced the handle mechanism, and it works great again.

They have apparently seen this issue 3 other times in my area.

100% parts and labor covered by warranty, as you'd expect, and as others stated in this thread.

I don't know how long it actually takes them to replace it, as I dropped the car off in the AM, and picked it up end-of-day.

Anony_FTP, good luck for a swift replacement.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,962 Posts
that just happen to me tonight

door would not open from inside the car. first time sence i got my car a year ago. what gives on this is it a common problem when
you got that feature...
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
In my case, it was not the auto door locking at 5mph "feature" that was the culprit. Rather, it was merely a door handle/lock mechanism that failed.

Hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts